BASIC PIE DOUGH FOR APPLE PIE
- In a food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar; pulse to combine. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with just a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed with fingers (if necessary, add up to 1/4 cup more water, 1 tablespoon at a time). To help ensure a flaky crust, do not overprocess.
- Transfer half of dough (still crumbly) onto a piece of plastic wrap. Form dough into a disk 3/4 inch thick; wrap tightly in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour (and up to 3 days). Repeat with remaining dough. Makes 2 disks.
ULTIMATE APPLE PIE
Try our classic Bramley apple pie with homemade shortcrust pastry. Simplicity is key to this traditional dish which makes for a comforting family pudding.
Provided by Angela Nilsen
Categories Dessert, Dinner, Treat
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Put a layer of paper towels on a large baking sheet. Quarter, core, peel and slice the apples about 5mm thick and lay evenly on the baking sheet. Put paper towels on top and set aside while you make and chill the pastry.
- For the pastry, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until just mixed. Break in a whole egg and a yolk (keep the white for glazing later). Beat together for just under 1 min - it will look a bit like scrambled egg. Now work in the flour with a wooden spoon, a third at a time, until it's beginning to clump up, then finish gathering it together with your hands. Gently work the dough into a ball, wrap in cling film, and chill for 45 mins. Now mix the 140g/5oz sugar, the cinnamon and flour for the filling in a bowl that is large enough to take the apples later.
- After the pastry has chilled, heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Lightly beat the egg white with a fork. Cut off a third of the pastry and keep it wrapped while you roll out the rest, and use this to line a pie tin - 20-22cm round and 4cm deep - leaving a slight overhang. Roll the remaining third to a circle about 28cm in diameter. Pat the apples dry with kitchen paper, and tip them into the bowl with the cinnamon-sugar mix. Give a quick mix with your hands and immediately pile high into the pastry-lined tin.
- Brush a little water around the pastry rim and lay the pastry lid over the apples pressing the edges together to seal. Trim the edge with a sharp knife and make 5 little slashes on top of the lid for the steam to escape. (Can be frozen at this stage.) Brush it all with the egg white and sprinkle with caster sugar. Bake for 40-45 mins, until golden, then remove and let it sit for 5-10 mins. Sprinkle with more sugar and serve while still warm from the oven with softly whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 695 calories, Fat 33 grams fat, SaturatedFat 20 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 95 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 32 grams sugar, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 9 grams protein, Sodium 0.79 milligram of sodium
INDIVIDUAL PUFF PASTRY APPLE PIES
Plump little apple pies made out of puff pastry.This recipe seems so simple, and one to impress and please family and friends alike.I received this recipe from my mom, but I haven't tried it yet, I can't wait go out and buy the puff pastry so I can make it. I hope you enjoy it!
Provided by chef FIFI
Yield 9 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Thaw puff pastry according to directions on package.
- Peel, core and chop apples up coarsely.
- Combine apples with sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Flour surface lightly and cut pastry sheet into nine 3x3 squares.
- Place approximately 1/4 cup apple mixture on each square and brush edge with beaten egg.
- Place second pastry square on the top of the already filled pastry to form a pocket.
- Press down border with fingers to seal and then press with fork to decorate the edges.
- Make a 1-inch L shape incision into each pie and fold back the pastry flap.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and give each one an egg wash.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 338.8, Fat 21, SaturatedFat 5.4, Cholesterol 20.7, Sodium 143.8, Carbohydrate 33.2, Fiber 1, Sugar 8.5, Protein 4.7
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. To make the pastry, sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the butter or margarine. Using your fingers, mix together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add about 3 tbsp cold water - 1 tbsp at a time - to bind the mixture into a ball. Then wrap it in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge while you prepare the apples, or for 30 mins if you have time.
- While the pastry is chilling, core the apples, then cut into even-sized chunks so they all cook in the same amount of time. Put the apples into the pie dish, drizzle over the honey and add the cinnamon, mixed spice and about 2 tbsp water.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface until it is large enough to cover the pie dish. Using the rolling pin, carefully lift the pastry and lay it over the top of the apple mixture. Carefully trim off the excess pastry (this can be rerolled and cut into shapes to decorate the pie crust if you like) and press the pastry edges onto the dish to create a seal.
- Make a small cut in the pastry so that the air can escape during cooking, then brush with beaten egg to glaze.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 20-30 mins until the pastry is golden and sandy in appearance and the apple filling is bubbling and hot. Serve while still warm with crème fraîche, ice cream or natural yogurt.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 527 calories, Fat 31 grams fat, SaturatedFat 19 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 52 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 11 grams sugar, Fiber 5 grams fiber, Protein 8 grams protein, Sodium 0.6 milligram of sodium
People also searched
More about "apple pie pastry food"
APPLE PUFF PASTRY PIES | MRFOOD.COM
Category PastriesEstimated Reading Time 2 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter; saute apple for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened; set aside to cool. When cooled, add 1/3 cup sugar, the flour, and cinnamon to apples; mix well.
- Meanwhile, unroll both pieces of pie dough onto a cutting board. Using a 3-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter, cut 9 circles from each piece of dough. Place 9 dough circles on the baking sheet and place about 1 tablespoon of apple mixture onto the center of each. (The other 9 circles will be the tops, so don't add filling to those.)
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and water. Brush edges of dough with egg wash. Place remaining dough circles over filling and seal edges by pressing together with a fork dipped in egg wash. With a paring knife, cut a small slit in the top of each hand pie. Brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle with extra sugar.
APPLE PIE PUFF PASTRY TURKEY RECIPE - FOOD NETWORK
Reviews 2Category DessertAuthor Food Network KitchenDifficulty Intermediate
- Melt the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the apples and cook until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture and continue to cook until the apples are soft and the sugar is caramelized, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Unfold 2 puff pastry sheets and cut a circle from each using a 7-inch bowl. Use the scraps to form the head, neck, wattle, feet and wing: Cut a piece vertically off one side of one of the scrap pieces, about 1 1/2 inches wide at the top and coming to a point at the bottom. Cut about 3 inches off the top of this strip. Pinch the pointed end and fold up and over to form the head and neck of the turkey. Next, cut 2 small triangles (about 1 1/2 inches) at the base for the feet. Cut 2 small triangles out of each foot to form 3 toes, then pinch these slightly to make claws. Cut one 2-inch-long narrow triangle with a slightly rounded base for the wattle. Cut a 4 1/2-inch triangle off the opposite corner of the scrap dough for the wing. Cut 2 small triangles from 2 of the edges and score each of these edges slightly with a few lines.
PUFF PASTRY APPLE PIE RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
Cuisine IrishTotal Time 2 hrs 45 minsCategory Dessert
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each piece of puff pastry to a 14-inch square. Ease one pastry square into a 9 1/2-inch deep glass pie plate. Scrape the apples and their juices into the shell. Lay the second layer of puff pastry on top. Press the edges together to seal and trim the overhang to 1 inch. Crimp the edge decoratively and cut a few slits on top for venting. Freeze the pie for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Place the apple pie on a baking sheet and transfer it to the oven. Bake the pie for 30 minutes, until the crust is lightly golden. Reduce the oven temperature to 375° and bake for 40 minutes longer, until the top is deep golden brown. Transfer the pie to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
PUFF PASTRY APPLE PIES RECIPE - BBC FOOD
10 BEST APPLE PASTRY DESSERTS RECIPES | YUMMLY
OUR BEST-EVER APPLE PIE RECIPES - FOOD COM
APPLE PIE RECIPES
BAKERY DEPARTMENT | WHOLE FOODS MARKET
HOW TO MAKE AN APPLE PIE WITH FILO PASTRY CRUST - DELISHABLY
PILLSBURY COPYCAT APPLE PIE RECIPE WITH READY MADE PASTRY
CINNAMON-AND-SUGAR APPLE PIE RECIPE | KING ARTHUR BAKING
THE 10 BEST BAKERIES IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA - TRIPADVISOR
PAWPAWPIE FOOD - HOMEANDRECIPE.COM
HOME OF ECONOMY-HERALD PIE BAKE-OFF RECIPES: 'APPLE CRANBERRY …
EASY APPLE PIE WITH PUFF PASTRY - GASTRONOTHERAPY
EASY APPLE PIE RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE PIE FROM SCRATCH
HOW TO MAKE SKILLET CHICKEN POT PIE WITH PUFF PASTRY
AMERICAN APPLE PIE - PETER'S FOOD ADVENTURES
APPLE PIE DELIVERY IN RESTON | DISCOVER APPLE PIE RESTAURANTS WITH ...
EASY NO FUSS FILO PASTRY APPLE PIE - EAZY PEAZY DESSERTS
CHOICE CROWNS THE BEST MINCE PIE OF 2022 IS FROM ALDI
15 DELICIOUS PUFF PASTRY RECIPE IDEAS – JUS-ROL
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make apple pie with puff pastry?Directions 1 In a large bowl, toss the apples with the sugar and the 3 tablespoons of flour. Advertisement 2 On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each piece of puff pastry to a 14-inch square. ... 3 Preheat the oven to 400°. Place the apple pie on a baking sheet and transfer it to the oven. ...
What is apple pie made of?As American as Apple Pie, made with fresh apples, brown sugar, cinnamon with a shortcrust lattice pastry. This will be the only apple pie recipe you'll need! American Apple Pie In a large bowl or food processor, add the flour, salt and butter. Using your fingers, mix the butter into the flour until it resembles crumbs.
How do you make apple tart pastry?Combine apples with sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Heat oven to 350°F. Flour surface lightly and cut pastry sheet into nine 3x3 squares. Place approximately 1/4 cup apple mixture on each square and brush edge with beaten egg. Place second pastry square on the top of the already filled pastry to form a pocket.
How to make apple pie from scratch?American Apple Pie In a large bowl or food processor, add the flour, salt and butter. Using your fingers, mix the butter into the flour until it resembles crumbs. If using a processor, slowly pulse until you get the same result. Add the chilled egg yolk and mix until it makes a non-sticky dough.