SCALLOPED BARLEY CASSEROLE
Bacon and cheddar mix with creamy barley for a decadent casserole.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Put the bacon in a cold skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Add the butter to the same skillet with the bacon fat and cook, stirring, until melted. Add the garlic and onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the barley and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a couple turns of pepper. Stir in the chicken broth and heavy cream. Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid begins to thicken slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bacon and 3/4 cup of the Cheddar. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake until the casserole is bubbling, about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and stir. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Cheddar and bake, uncovered, until the cheese is melted and most of the liquid is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
MUSHROOM BARLEY CASSEROLE
A dear friend shared this recipe with me years ago. My family enjoys it with meat dishes as a substitute for potatoes. It's great to take to a potluck for a dish to pass, but be prepared to also pass along the recipe! -Melba Cleveland, Groveland, California
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a small skillet, saute barley and onion in butter for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Stir in the mushrooms, almonds, soup mix and parsley. Add 3 cups broth. , Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until barley is tender, adding more broth if needed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 238 calories, Fat 13g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 17mg cholesterol, Sodium 720mg sodium, Carbohydrate 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 6g fiber), Protein 7g protein.
PEARL BARLEY CASSEROLE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a 1 1/2-quart Dutch oven or oven-safe pot over medium heat and cook onion until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Add celery and cook until starting to soften, stirring often, about 5 more minutes. Mix barley into the vegetables and stir until coated with butter. Fold mushrooms and green pepper into barley mixture; season to taste with salt and black pepper. Pour chicken broth into barley mixture and bring to a boil; cover casserole dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until barley is nearly tender, about 30 minutes; uncover casserole dish and bake barley until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 more minutes. Adjust salt and black pepper before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 290.8 calories, Carbohydrate 46.5 g, Cholesterol 22.9 mg, Fat 9.6 g, Fiber 9.9 g, Protein 7.7 g, SaturatedFat 5.7 g, Sodium 96.6 mg, Sugar 4.1 g
"Growing up on a farm, I was used to eating good wholesome food, including a variety of barley dishes," informs Alice Kaluzy of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. "This casserole was my first attempt at cooking with barley, The results were as yummy and comforting as I'd remembered."
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a large ovenproof skillet, saute the celery, carrots, onions and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the barley, salt and pepper. Stir in 2-1/2 cups broth. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes., Stir in parsley and remaining broth; sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 222 calories, Fat 7g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 4mg cholesterol, Sodium 711mg sodium, Carbohydrate 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 8g fiber), Protein 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
BARLEY BEEF SKILLET
Even my 3-year-old loves this family-favorite beef barley skillet. It's very filling, inexpensive and full of veggies. It's also really good spiced up with chili powder, cayenne or a dash of Tabasco. -Kit Tunstall, Boise, Idaho
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the broth, tomato sauce and water; bring to a boil. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until barley is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 400 calories, Fat 10g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 73mg cholesterol, Sodium 682mg sodium, Carbohydrate 48g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 10g fiber), Protein 30g protein.
BARLEY CASSEROLE WITH MUSHROOMS
Serve this barley casserole with beef, chicken, or fish instead of rice or potatoes. It's simple to put together and bakes in the oven along with the beef, chicken, or fish. Saves time and energy when you can bake two or more dishes at the same time.
Provided by PJ's kitchen
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a covered casserole dish with butter.
- Heat 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion and celery until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add barley and cook until slightly brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth and mushrooms into the prepared casserole dish. Spoon in barley mixture and blend well.
- Bake in the preheated oven until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 313.1 calories, Carbohydrate 53.8 g, Cholesterol 17.2 mg, Fat 7.6 g, Fiber 12.7 g, Protein 9.6 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, Sodium 479.9 mg, Sugar 2.1 g
- Heat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Melt butter and saute onion and barley.
- Pour mixture into a casserole dish.
- Add rest of ingredients.
- Cook 1 hour covered.
- Slice the mushroom caps and chop the stems. Heat the butter in a skillet and add the chopped onion. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes and add the mushrooms. Cook another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the barley and brown it lightly, mixing it well with the onions and mushrooms. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour into a buttered casserole. Add enough boiling broth to cover the mixture and come 1/2" above it. Cover the casserole tightly and bake in a 350°F. oven for 25 minutes. Taste the barley for doneness. Add more broth, if necessary, and continue cooking until the liquid is absorbed and the barley tender. Serve as an accompaniment to duck, game, goose, squab and other kinds of poultry - wherever you would use wild rice.
- Add finely slivered buttered almonds to the barley just before serving.
- Cook chicken gizzards in a well-seasoned broth and use the broth to cook the barley. Add the thinly sliced gizzards at the last minute.
- Add sautéd chicken livers and some chopped fresh parsley to the barley casserole just before serving.
- Substitute 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions for the onion and add 1/4 cup finely chopped celery and 3/4 cup thinly sliced water chestnuts. Season the broth with a few dashes of soy sauce. Serve this oriental version of barley casserole topped with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
- Melt butter in fry pan.
- Add onions, mushrooms and barley.
- Saute until lightly browned.
- Put into greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Add almonds, green onion, salt and pepper.
- Dissolve Oxo cubes in boiling water.
- Add to casserole.
- Stir to mix well.
- Cover and bake in 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours or until barley is tender.
SIMPLE BARLEY CASSEROLE
- Pre heat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Melt butter in a pan and saute onion and barley until toasted then put in a casserole dish.
- Add everything else and cook 1 hour covered.
- Uncover, and bake 20 more minutes or until liquid is gone.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 195.2, Fat 7.2, SaturatedFat 4, Cholesterol 15.3, Sodium 685.5, Carbohydrate 26.9, Fiber 6.2, Sugar 2.4, Protein 7.1
PEARL BARLEY, BACON & LEEK CASSEROLE
This storecupboard grain makes a great alternative to rice or couscous. Team with bacon and veggies in this risotto-like stew
Provided by Angela Boggiano
Categories Dinner, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil and cook the leeks for a few mins, then add the garlic and cook for just 1 min more.
- Add the pearl barley, carrots and mustard, then pour over the chicken stock. Season with plenty of ground black pepper and simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the cabbage with the bacon, and cook for 5-10 mins until cabbage is wilted and tender. Serve with extra Dijon mustard on the side.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 589 calories, Fat 15 grams fat, SaturatedFat 3 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 73 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 11 grams sugar, Fiber 8 grams fiber, Protein 43 grams protein, Sodium 0.8 milligram of sodium
CHICKEN & BARLEY CASSEROLE
This is one of my family's favorite recipes. I've typed it here for posterity, as I keep losing my copy at home. You can make this in an electric skillet or in a large skillet on top of the stove. You can also use a cut up chicken, or a package of 6 thighs, or whatever your favorite chicken parts are, in this dish. Instead of frozen artichoke hearts, I've also used marinated ones. Enjoy!
Provided by Michelle Berteig
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and paprika.
- In a wide frying pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the chicken and cook until well browned on both sides. Add a little more butter if needed. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the remaining butter. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside.
- Add barley and onion to pan. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft. Add basil and one 14 oz. can chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then cover the pan, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and arrange the chicken pieces over the barley mixture. Pour the other can of chicken broth and sherry over all. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Gently mix in artichoke hearts and continue to simmer until barley is tender (about 10 more minutes).
- To serve, skim off any excess fat and sprinkle with parsley.
More about "barley casserole food"
BARLEY CASSEROLE - THE SOUTHERN LADY COOKS
LENTIL AND BARLEY OVEN BAKED CASSEROLE | HEART AND STROKE …
10 BEST PEARL BARLEY CASSEROLE RECIPES | YUMMLY
OUR 18 BEST BARLEY RECIPES
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- Beef Barley Vegetable Soup. "Threw the all the ingredients in the crockpot except the barley from the start," says reviewer BEBOC. "Cooked for 12 hours on low and added barley for the last half hour on high.
- Beaker's Vegetable Barley Soup. Barley makes this vegetable soup as filling as it is nutritious. Reviewer Carrie says, "This is a great hearty soup with lots of flavor!
- Barley Risotto Primavera. "Easy to make and bursting with flavor, this risotto uses barley instead of rice for an extra nutritional punch," says recipe creator Jen.
- Kerry's Beany Salad. This nutritious and colorful salad makes a great weekday lunch or potluck addition. "This is fantastic," says reviewer Susan Yeatts.
- Sausage Barley Soup. Reviewer SMIDGEN describes this recipe as, "a wonderful cold weather dish that tastes as good as it smells when cooking!"
- Chicken Vegetable Barley Soup. Use leftover chicken to make tonight's warm and comforting barley soup. "It's an unexpected combination (the almonds with the veggies and the barley) that is delicious and leaves you very satisfied," says reviewer DANIEDB.
- Tomato Barley Soup. This budget-friendly soup is guaranteed to become a part of your regular dinner rotation. "I didn't have fresh tomatoes so just stuck with canned," says reviewer thebrokedown.
- Brussels Sprouts and Barley Soup. Reviewer cookie_cooker says, "So many of my favorite veggies & nutrient super stars are in this soup!" This hearty soup is chock full of veggies including green beans, turnips, leeks, carrots, bell pepper, and Brussels sprouts.
- Ash-e-jow (Iranian/Persian Barley Soup) "My best friend is Persian, and I love the rich flavour of Persian food," says reviewer pinkypink. "This soup is great and full of flavor.
- Barley Bake. "When I serve it as a main dish, I double the amount of mushrooms, that really gives it a meaty flavor without the meat," says reviewer Frann R. "Leftovers are good cold for summer outings."
BARLEY AND MIXED MUSHROOM CASSEROLE RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
Author Jeanne LemlinSteps 3Difficulty 1 hr 40 min
PEARL BARLEY RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
NIGELLA LAWSON’S CHICKEN BARLEY RECIPE | FOOD | THE GUARDIAN
BARLEY MUSHROOM CASSEROLE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
RECIPES WITH BARLEY | TASTE OF HOME
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #casseroles #side-dishes #beans #oven #easy #dietary #low-calorie #low-in-something #pasta-rice-and-grains #equipment #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook barley in a casserole?DIRECTIONS Melt butter in fry pan. Add onions, mushrooms and barley. Saute until lightly browned. Put into greased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Add almonds, green onion, salt and pepper. Dissolve Oxo cubes in boiling water. Add to casserole. Stir to mix well. Cover and bake in 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours or until barley is tender.
What can I do with barley?Use recipes with barley to mix up your whole grain routine. You can spice things up with with Indian barley recipes for dinner—or start your day with breakfast barley recipes that have mild nutty flavor. My neighbor had an abundance of cabbage, so a group of us had a contest to see who could come up with the best cabbage dish.
How do you cook barley in a cast iron skillet?—Kit Tunstall, Boise, Idaho In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the broth, tomato sauce and water; bring to a boil. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until barley is tender, 20-25 minutes.
How many calories are in a cup of barley soup?Stir in the mushrooms, almonds, soup mix and parsley. Add 3 cups broth. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until barley is tender, adding more broth if needed. 3/4 cup: 238 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 720mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein.