KERRY'S BASIC BROWN BEANS
I love the brown beans at a local diner, but haven't been able to find the right recipe. I finally decided to experiment on my own and here is the result. Basic, good, healthy, and inexpensive comfort food. Topping with shredded country ham or crumbled bacon really takes these basic pinto beans over the top. Also, easily doubled.
Provided by KerryElizabeth
Categories Side Dish
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Place rinsed and sorted pinto beans in a large pot. Cover with 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Turn off heat and let beans sit for 1 hour.
- Drain beans, rinse, and return to the pot. Add chicken broth and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender and cooked, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add additional water if needed.
- While beans are cooking, place oil and 1/2 of the chopped onion in a skillet. Saute over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add green chiles and garlic and saute until onion is soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Add mixture to beans after about 1 hour of cooking. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls topped with Cheddar cheese, remaining onion, and jalapeno.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 259.5 calories, Carbohydrate 39.7 g, Cholesterol 7.5 mg, Fat 4.2 g, Fiber 9.5 g, Protein 16.2 g, SaturatedFat 1.6 g, Sodium 433 mg, Sugar 3.4 g
BASIC BROWN BEANS
Provided by Ree Drummond : Food Network
Yield 8 to 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 3
- Add the beans, chili powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons pepper to a large pot. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until tender, about 6 hours. Serve as part of a taco bar.
Make and share this Brown Beans recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Chef teeh20
Yield 12 1 CUP, 10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a 5 quart stock pot.
- add your beans ,ham,sausage and cover with water.add your spices .and boil for 4 hours.add water as needed.
BROWN BEANS, SWEDISH STYLE
Another recipe for Bruna Bönor that I have. Preparation time does not include time to soak beans overnight. Makes 4 servings.
Provided by BeccaB3c
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Wash beans. Put into a saucepan and add 5 cups water. Soak overnight.
- Set saucepan over high heat and bring water to the boiling point quickly. Reduce heat and cook over low heat about 1 hour.
- Add seasonings and continue to cook over very low heat for another hour, or until mixture thickens and beans are tender.
- If it doesn't thicken enough, remove the cover, turn heat on high and stir and cook for about 10 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water if the beans are too thick.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 147.4, Sodium 654.5, Carbohydrate 38.7, Sugar 17.7
GRANDMA BROWN'S BEANS
Grandma Brown's canned baked beans are available in the northeast USA but not common elsewhere. They are very simple with only 6 ingredients named on the can. This is a process to recreate them faithfully. Note that these beans are not tomato based, they are thick not saucy, and they are only mildly sweet. The final product either from the can or from the recipe is easily modified to your taste by adding bacon, tomato ketchup, brown sugar, spices. But they are great the way they are. They taste like beans!
Provided by ks100
Yield 10 cups, 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- add 1 teaspoon baking soda to 6 cups water.
- bring water to a boil.
- sort through beans for debris.
- add navy beans to water.
- boil 10 minutes.
- turn off heat.
- cover pot.
- let sit overnight.
- rinse beans well.
- add beans and all other ingredients to oven proof pot with tight fitting lid.
- stir well.
- add water until beans are just covered.
- cover pot with lid.
- bake 5 to 6 hours at 300°F.
- every hour stir and add water to cover if beans are drying out.
- final product should be a thick and not runny.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 161.6, Fat 1.3, SaturatedFat 0.3, Cholesterol 7.4, Sodium 994.3, Carbohydrate 28.7, Fiber 7.9, Sugar 9.2, Protein 9.4
SWEDISH BROWN BEANS
I belong to a food buying club served by Ozark Co-operative Warehouse. They often run specials on unusual (to Americans) cheeses, rices, beans, etc. Recently I bought a #5 sack of Swedish Brown Beans, but when a searched Recipezaar -- nothing! However I did find this recipe on SOAR: The Searchable Online Archive of Recipes and tried it that night. It made a delicious creamy dish - a little sweeter than most main-dish bean recipes, but very delicious. You can cut down on prep time by bringing the beans to a boil for 10 minutes, then covering. Remove from heat and let sit for an hour. This takes the place of soaking overnight. Make sure your beans are tender before you add salt. (Salt tends to toughen the beans.) Serve with a hearty bread.
Provided by SherryKaraoke
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Pick over and rinse the beans.
- Add the water and soak the beans at least 12 hours.
- Bring the beans and soaking water to a boil.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the salt, vinegar, syrup, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon stick.
- Stir to mix.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until the beans are tender.
- The liquid should be as thick as a sauce at the end of the cooking period.
- If the liquid is not thickened, turn up the heat for 10 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced.
- Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Serve hot.
People also searched
More about "brown beans food"
15 TYPES OF BEANS — AND HOW TO COOK WITH THEM - ALLRECIPES
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
- Black Beans. Black beans are a staple in many Mexican and Brazilian dishes. They have a velvety-smooth texture and mild flavor. They also have a lower glycemic index than many other high-carb foods, helping to reduce the spike in blood sugar that occurs after eating a meal.
- Black-Eyed Peas. This Southern staple has a beige hue with an eye-catching black spot, hence the name "black-eyed peas." They have an earthy flavor that complements salty foods like ham and bacon.
- Cannellini Beans. Also known as white Italian kidney beans, these cream-colored beans are one of the most common types of beans. They are a popular addition to soups, salads, and many Italian dishes.
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, come in two varieties: the larger Kabuli is common throughout the Mediterranean, and the smaller desi is mostly grown in India.
- Great Northern Beans. This is another type of white bean that is often mistaken for cannellini or navy beans. Great Northern beans are less dense and have more of a nutty flavor than their bean brethren.
- Kidney Beans. These beans are known for their vibrant red skin and white interior. They have a mild flavor, and make the perfect addition to any chili recipe.
- Lima Beans. These beans get a bad rap, but there's actually so much to love when it comes to lima beans. They can be white, creamy, or green in color. There are two types: the larger, butter (also called Fordhook) beans, and the sweeter baby lima beans.
- Pinto Beans. Pinto beans have an orange-pink color with rust-colored specks. Pinto actually means "painted" in Spanish. They're loaded with fiber and protein too.
- Fava Beans. Fava beans, or broad beans, can be difficult to work with. They require that you remove them from their pods and then blanch them in order to get the skins off.
- Navy Beans. This bean goes by many names: haricot, pearl haricot beans, white pea bean, and Boston bean. They have a mild flavor and creamy texture, and similar to Great Northern Beans, they do a great job of absorbing the flavors around them.
25 NATURALLY BROWN FOODS (WITH PICTURES!) - CHEF'S PENCIL
- Kala Chana. Let’s start with something pretty new in the US. Kala Chana are dark brown chickpeas widely used in Indian cuisine. They’re rich in natural fiber, packed with protein, and taste delicious.
- Caramel. Caramel, made by boiling white sugar and water, is one of the most mouth-watering ways to add a delicious additional sweetness to desserts and treats.
- Peanut Butter. Mass-produced peanut butter, delicious though it is, often contains an array of unwanted additives to preserve its shelf life. It’s simple to make peanut butter at home.
- Brown Bread. Brown bread can be made in two ways. When part of the wheat bran is left in the flour, it’s called wheat germ or wheat grain bread. Sometimes, brown dye is added to white flour to make it look more healthy and justify the more expensive price tag.
- Brown Mushrooms. Baby bellas, portabellos, and portabellinis, all brown mushrooms, are considered tastier than their white button cousins. Their chewy texture adds a welcome burst of umami-richness to all kinds of dishes, from steamed vegetables to rich meaty stews.
- Brown Rice. As a whole grain, brown rice contains the nutrient-rich germ and the fibrous bran coat that is removed from white rice. It has a pleasant nutty taste and a chewy texture.
- Brown Sugar. Brown sugar, produced by adding a small quantity of molasses to white sugar, is a versatile sweetener used in cakes, cookies, brownies, and cereal bars.
- Chestnuts. Although there are many varieties of chestnut, the Castanea sativa, also known as Spanish chestnut or sweet chestnut, is most typically the one we eat, particularly in the fall and as a holiday treat.
- Chickpeas. Chickpeas are a genuine superfood. They’re high in protein, full of fiber, low in calories, and even gluten-free! They’re a versatile and economical ingredient used in soups, curries, stews, rice dishes, and the world’s most popular dip – hummus.
- Chocolate. No list of brown foods could omit this ultimate sweet treat – chocolate. Colors range from creamy white (which contains almost no cocoa), through a mid-brown right to the deepest brown-black shades of brands containing 100% cocoa solids.
TRUE FOOD KITCHEN - 281 PHOTOS & 126 REVIEWS - YELP
885 Yelp reviewsLocation 11901 Democracy Dr Reston, VA 20190
BROWN BAG - HONEST FOOD, CORPORATE CATERING
MON AMI GABI, RESTON - MENU, PRICES & RESTAURANT …
BEANS FOR BABY: AGE TO INTRODUCE, BEST TYPES, BENEFITS, AND MORE
WHAT ARE BROWN BEANS? (WITH PICTURES) - DELIGHTED COOKING
27 BEST BEAN RECIPES - THE SPRUCE EATS
15 BEST RESTAURANTS IN RESTON, VA FOR 2023 (TOP EATS!)
HEALTH BENEFITS OF NIGERIAN BROWN BEANS - HEALTH GUIDE NG
WHY BEANS ARE GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH - WEBMD
9 HEALTH BENEFITS OF BEANS - MEDICAL NEWS TODAY
ARE CANNED BEANS HEALTHY? NUTRITION, BENEFITS, AND DOWNSIDES
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook brown beans?Basic Brown Beans. Ingredients. Directions. Add the beans, chili powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons pepper to a large pot. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until tender, about 6 hours.
What are Swedish brown beans?They are closely related to pinto beans, black beans, cranberry beans, and kidney beans. Because they are native to Sweden and are widely used in Swedish cuisine, these beans are sometimes called Swedish brown beans. These legumes were introduced to the Americas in the 19th century, when Swedish immigrants brought them to Montana.
How to make tacos with beans?Add the beans, chili powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons pepper to a large pot. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until tender, about 6 hours. Serve as part of a taco bar. Episode: Alex Is Home!
What to serve with brown beans?The dish is very similar to American baked beans. The beans are sweetened, combined with a hearty meat, and sometimes pureed. Meats commonly served with brown beans include ham, bacon, various types of sausage, Swedish meatballs, and game meats. In addition to casserole, brown beans can be the centerpiece of soups, chowders, and chilies.