CHEF JOHN'S BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN
I love the tangy tenderization that the buttermilk provides. After the buttermilk soak, dredge the chicken pieces in seasoned flour, and fry them in hot oil until crisp and cooked.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Toss together chicken pieces, black pepper, salt, paprika, rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, white pepper, and cayenne in a large bowl to coat.
- Stir in buttermilk until chicken is coated. Refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Combine flour, salt, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, white pepper, and onion powder in a large shallow dish.
- Remove chicken from the buttermilk and dredge each piece in the seasoned flour. Shake off any excess and transfer to a plate.
- Heat peanut oil in a large Dutch oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Add all the chicken to the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken pieces and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oil and transfer to a cooling rack set over a paper towel lined baking sheet. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1261.6 calories, Carbohydrate 55.7 g, Cholesterol 179 mg, Fat 85 g, Fiber 2.5 g, Protein 66 g, SaturatedFat 15.6 g, Sodium 1443.2 mg, Sugar 6.3 g
FRIED BUTTERMILK CHICKEN STRIPS
- Soak chicken tenders in buttermilk for 20 to 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- While chicken is soaking, combine flour, salt, garlic salt, mustard powder, paprika, and pepper in a large brown bag.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Drain chicken and shake lightly to remove excess buttermilk. Chicken should still be damp. Drop chicken into the bag of seasoned flour and shake until well coated.
- Drop chicken into hot oil, about 6 pieces at a time, depending on the size of your pot. Cook until golden brown, crispy, and no longer pink in the centers, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and pepper while still warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 518.2 calories, Carbohydrate 43.1 g, Cholesterol 101.8 mg, Fat 17.2 g, Fiber 1.7 g, Protein 45 g, SaturatedFat 3.3 g, Sodium 3317.6 mg, Sugar 6.1 g
BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN
- For the marinade, in a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, shallot, garlic, jalapeño, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- With a rolling pin or a meat mallet, pound the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of parchment paper until they are evenly 1/2 inch thick. Slice each chicken breast in half crosswise so you have 2 pieces approximately the same size.
- Add the chicken to the marinade, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours but not more than 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, celery salt, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper and set aside.
- When ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Place a sheet pan with a baking rack on it in the oven.
- Pour the oil into a medium (9-inch round x 4 1/2-inch high) Dutch oven, such as Le Creuset, fitted with a candy thermometer, until the oil is 2 inches deep. Heat the oil over high heat until the temperature reaches 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, lift the chicken from the marinade, dredge it well in the flour mixture, submerge it again in the marinade, then dredge again in the flour mixture, dusting off the excess. Transfer the chicken to a plate or sheet pan until ready to fry.
- When the oil is 350 degrees, lower three pieces only(!) carefully into the oil with a slotted spoon and adjust the heat to keep the oil at 350 degrees. Don't crowd the chicken! Cook for 5 minutes exactly, turning once to brown evenly. With the slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to the sheet pan in the oven to keep warm. Fry the remaining three pieces, sprinkle all the chicken with salt, and serve hot.
BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN
Follow this step-by-step recipe for foolproof fried chicken - dip in buttermilk batter for a golden, seasoned crust and sweet, tender chicken
Provided by Jennifer Joyce
Categories Dinner, Lunch, Main course, Supper
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Put all the dry brine ingredients in a large dish. Add the chicken, toss to coat well, then cover and chill for 12-24 hrs.
- Put all the spiced flour ingredients in another dish or a large bowl, add a good grind of black pepper and combine well.
- Put the buttermilk and egg in another bowl and lightly whisk until well combined.
- Start to coat the chicken. Using one hand, dip the pieces in the buttermilk, making sure they are completely coated.
- Using your other hand, roll the chicken in the spiced flour until covered all over.
- Place the chicken on a wire rack with a baking tray underneath. Now you're ready to start frying.
- Fill a deep cast-iron frying pan or heavy- based medium saucepan half full with oil and heat until the temperature reaches 170C on a cooking thermometer. Put a wire rack on a second tray, ready to drain the fried chicken.
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Place 3-4 pieces of chicken into the hot oil. Don't overcrowd the pan. Cook for 10-12 mins. Poke your thermometer into the meat next to the bone - it will be cooked when it reaches 73C.
- The oil temperature will drop when you add the chicken - adjust the heat to keep it steady at 140C during the cooking process. Once cooked, transfer to the clean wire rack and keep warm in the oven. Bring the oil back to 170C before cooking the next batch. Serve with your choice of sides.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 476 calories, Fat 20 grams fat, SaturatedFat 6 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 37 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 3 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 36 grams protein, Sodium 2.6 milligram of sodium
OVEN FRIED CHICKEN TENDERS
This is a Weight Watchers recipe. 6 pts./serving. Serving size: 3 tenders. This is easy to make, tasty, and very popular with my kids. I use regular milk instead of buttermilk, just because I always have it.
Provided by newchef 1
Categories Chicken Breast
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Combine chicken and buttermilk in a shallow bowl. Place crackers, Creole seasoning, and salt in a heavy-duty zip-top bag. Crush crackers with a rolling pin or heel of hand.
- Drain chicken, discarding buttermilk. Add chicken to bag, close, and shake to coat well.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Pour oil in center of baking sheet; heat oil at 450 for 3 minutes. Remove oven from pan, reduce heat to 400. Spread hot oil with a spatula over an area just large enough to accommodate chicken. Quickly place chicken in oil on pan.
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes, turn, and bake and additional 3 minutes or until done.
People also searched
More about "buttermilk fried chicken tenders food"
BEST DAMN BUTTERMILK CHICKEN TENDERS
5/5 (5)Total Time 23 minsCategory Dinner
- Place chicken breasts in between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound to even thickness of about about 1/2″. Then cut into strips of about an inch thick. Place in a bowl with buttermilk and let sit in refrigerator for about an hour.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, season salt, paprika and parsley flakes. In another bowl, beat two eggs.
- Remove chicken strips from buttermilk, dredge in flour mix, the eggs, then back through flour. Set aside on a paper plate until complete.
BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN TENDERS - SOUTHERN BYTES
5/5 (30)Total Time 6 hrs 25 minsCategory Lunch, Main CourseCalories 499 per serving
SUPER CRISPY CHICKEN TENDERS - DINNER, …
BUTTERMILK CHICKEN TENDERS - TENDER STRIPS …
BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN BURGERS - MY GORGEOUS …
FRIED CHICKEN TENDERS - THE SEASONED MOM
BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN - JO COOKS
THE BEST BUTTERMILK-BRINED SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE
AIR FRYER FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE - TASTING TABLE
3-STEP FRIED BUTTERMILK CHICKEN TENDERS RECIPE (PERFECT FOR GAME …
COUNTRY FRIED BUTTERMILK CHICKEN TENDERS - DIVAS CAN COOK
CRISPY BUTTERMILK CHICKEN TENDERS - LITTLE SUNNY KITCHEN
CRISPY FRIED CHICKEN TENDERS STORY - EASY CHICKEN RECIPES
CRISPY CRUNCHY CHICKEN TENDERS – BLACKSTONE PRODUCTS
BEST BUTTERMILK WAFFLES WITH BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN TENDERS …
BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN TENDERS RECIPE | RECIPES.NET
15 BUTTERMILK CHICKEN AND WAFFLES RECIPE - SELECTED RECIPES
CLASSIC BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN - THE CHUNKY CHEF
AIR FRYER FRIED CHICKEN GIMME DELICIOUS AIR FRYER DINNER RECIPES …
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN TENDERS: 25 TASTY SIDES
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook chicken tenders in buttermilk?Soak chicken tenders in buttermilk for 20 to 30 minutes in the refrigerator. While chicken is soaking, combine flour, salt, garlic salt, mustard powder, paprika, and pepper in a large brown bag. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Drain chicken and shake lightly to remove excess buttermilk.
How to make buttermilk fried chicken?How to Make Buttermilk Fried Chicken Prepare the chicken: If you prefer, you can wash your chicken pieces. Prepare the buttermilk and flour: In a large bowl mix the buttermilk, eggs, paprika, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Dredge the chicken: Toss the chicken in the flour and make sure it’s covered well.
How do you fry chicken tenders?Dip each chicken tender in a combination of eggs, buttermilk, and garlic salt in a shallow dish. Dredge. Next, dredge the chicken in a combination of flour, salt, and pepper. Rest. Place the coated chicken tenders on a wire rack to rest (and dry a little bit) while you heat the oil. Fry.
Can I use chicken tenders instead of Tenderloins?If you don't have tenderloins, you can use breast meat that is cut into tender-sized pieces. (The buttermilk marinade will help tenderize the meat so it won't dry out.) In a large plastic bag or bowl, combine the chicken tenders with the buttermilk, salt, garlic powder, paprika, and Tony's.