MAKE-AHEAD TURKEY GRAVY WITH ONIONS & SAGE
Provided by Ina Garten
Yield Makes 4 cups
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute, stirring often, for 15 to 20 minutes, until the onion becomes browned and starts to caramelize. Sprinkle on the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock, Cognac, sage leaves, bay leaves, 2 teaspoons salt (depending on the saltiness of the chicken stock), and 1 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour and strain, pressing the solids lightly and then discarding them. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- After the turkey is cooked, remove it to a carving board to rest while you finish the gravy. Place the roasting pan on the stovetop over medium heat and add the wine. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring and scraping up all the bits clinging to the bottom of the pan. Slowly whisk the gravy base into the pan. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until the gravy is smooth and slightly thickened. Taste for seasonings and serve hot.
EASY ONION GRAVY
Add this simple onion gravy recipe to your repertoire. It's the perfect accompaniment to sausages and roasts with the deep flavours of beef stock, red wine and herbs
Provided by Elena Silcock
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the bay leaf and thyme and cook for a min to infuse the flavours of the herbs. Add the onions and coat well in the butter and oil, sprinkle over the sugar and a big pinch of salt and slowly cook the onions down for 45-50 mins, stirring occasionally until sticky and caramelised.
- Add the flour and stir well, coating all of the onions. Cook for a min then add the wine and vinegar, turn up the heat and reduce by half, so about 2 mins, whisking a little to ensure the flour doesn't lump at all. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and cook for 6-8 mins, until the gravy is thick enough to coat the back of spoon. If you cook it a bit too much and it gets too thick, add a splash of water. Season well and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 150 calories, Fat 6 grams fat, SaturatedFat 3 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 10 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 6 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 3 grams protein, Sodium 0.3 milligram of sodium
ROAST TURKEY WITH HERB BUTTER AND CARAMELIZED-ONION GRAVY
Categories Herb Onion turkey Roast Thanksgiving Vinegar Fall Bon Appétit
Yield Makes 14 servings
Number Of Ingredients 19
- For gravy base:
- Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until deep brown, about 40 minutes. Mix in rosemary and thyme, then flour; stir 1 minute. Add vinegar and honey; simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)
- For turkey:
- Mix butter and herbs in small bowl. Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry. Place on rack set in large roasting pan. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper. Starting at neck end, slide hand between skin and breast meat to loosen skin. Spread 1/4 cup herb butter over breast meat under skin. Rub remaining butter over outside of turkey. Place turkey parts and onion quarters in pan around turkey. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 350°F. If stuffing turkey, spoon stuffing loosely into main cavity and neck cavity. Tuck wing tips under; tie legs together loosely to hold shape. Roast turkey uncovered 1 hour. Tent turkey breast and tops of drumsticks loosely with foil; roast 1 hour longer. Add 1 cup broth, herb sprigs, and bay leaf to drippings in pan. Continue to roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F, basting with 3/4 cup broth and pan juices every 30 minutes, about 2 hours 30 minutes longer for unstuffed and 3 hours longer for stuffed. Transfer turkey to platter; let stand 30 minutes (internal temperature will increase 5 to 10 degrees).
- Strain pan juices into 8-cup measuring cup; spoon fat off top. Heat gravy base over medium heat. Whisk in flour, then pan juices. Boil until gravy is reduced to 7 cups, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve turkey with gravy.
MAKE AHEAD CARAMELIZED ONIONS
Here is a great technique, using your crockpot, for caramelizing sweet or regular onions, which you can then use for onion soup, or a delicious Caramelized Onion Lasagna recipe I am posting separately. I am guessing at the amount it makes.
Provided by MarieRynr
Yield 2 cups
Number Of Ingredients 3
- Put the butter in a 4 quart or larger slow cooker insert.
- Separate the onion slices into rings and add them to the slow cooker, lightly packing them down.
- Sprinkle the salt over and cover with the lid, (the cooker will be quite full).
- Cook on high until the onions are very soft and a deep caramel color, about 10 to 12 hours, stirring once or twice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 883.6, Fat 46.9, SaturatedFat 29.4, Cholesterol 122, Sodium 2365.8, Carbohydrate 114.8, Fiber 15.9, Sugar 48.6, Protein 10.9
ULTIMATE TOAD-IN-THE-HOLE WITH CARAMELISED ONION GRAVY
Wrap fat sausages in streaky bacon for a posh version of a British classic - perfect comfort food for the whole family
Provided by Cassie Best
Categories Dinner, Main course, Supper
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Tip the flour into a large jug or bowl. Crack in the eggs, one at a time, whisking as you do. Pour in the milk and continue whisking until you have a smooth, lump-free batter. Add the mustard, herbs and some seasoning, then cover and set aside for 2 hrs, or chill overnight.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Heat the oil in a large metal roasting tin or enamel baking dish, roughly 30 x 22cm, with high-ish sides. Wrap a rasher of bacon around each sausage and pop them in the dish with the onion wedges. Place on the middle shelf of the oven (make sure the top shelf is removed to allow space for the batter to rise later). Cook for 15-20 mins until the sausages and bacon are browning and sizzling.
- Meanwhile, make the gravy. Drizzle a little oil into a saucepan. Add the sliced onions and cook slowly for 15 mins. Stir every now and then until they are soft and caramelised. Add the sugar and balsamic vinegar, and cook for 5 mins more until sticky.
- The batter should be the consistency of double cream - if it has become a little thick, add a splash of cold water. Take the batter to the oven, open the door, carefully pull out the shelf and quickly pour the batter around the sausages. Close the oven and do not open it again for at least 25 mins.
- To finish the gravy, stir the flour into the onions to make a paste, cooking for 1-2 mins. Continue stirring while you splash in the wine, a little at a time, until you have a smooth, thick sauce. Increase the heat and bubble for a few mins until reduced by about half. Add the stock and some seasoning, and continue bubbling for 10 mins while the toad cooks.
- By now the toad should be puffed up and deep golden brown. If not, continue cooking - but don't open the oven as it will sink. Serve scattered with the crisp herbs (if using), with the gravy, green veg, and mash, if you like.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 612 calories, Fat 34 grams fat, SaturatedFat 11 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 42 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 13 grams sugar, Fiber 3 grams fiber, Protein 26 grams protein, Sodium 3 milligram of sodium
People also searched
More about "caramelized onion make ahead gravy food"
BEST ONION GRAVY RECIPE - THE DARING GOURMET
4.9/5 (128)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCategory Condiment, SauceCalories 82 per serving
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CARAMELIZED ONIONS
EASY ONION GRAVY - SPRINKLES AND SPROUTS
CARAMELIZED ONION GRAVY (FOR BANGERS AND MASH)
CARAMELIZED ONION MAKE-AHEAD GRAVY | WILLIAMS SONOMA
5/5 (2)Total Time 50 minsServings 10-12
HOW TO MAKE CARAMELIZED ONION GRAVY - FOOD52
Reviews 3Servings 2Cuisine AmericanCategory Side
CARAMELIZED ONION GRAVY - JULIA'S CUISINE
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
MAKE-AHEAD GRAVY RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN | FOOD NETWORK
Author Steve Jackson for Food Network Kitchen FromSteps 5Difficulty Easy
MAKE-AHEAD ONION GRAVY RECIPE | WILLIAMS SONOMA TASTE
CARAMELISED ONION GRAVY - ALL KITCHEN COLOURS
EASY VEGAN CARAMELIZED ONION GRAVY - PLANT BASED JESS
CARAMELIZED ONION GRAVY - A VEGETARIAN RECIPE FROM …
CARAMELIZED ONION AND MUSHROOM GRAVY (ALSO VEGAN!) | KITCHN
UMAMI GRAVY RECIPE - NYT COOKING
WE'RE ADDING THIS MAKE-AHEAD GRAVY RECIPE TO OUR
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love