If you're not familiar with chicken mole (pronounced mo-LAY), don't be afraid of this versatile Mexican sauce. I love sharing this chicken mole recipe because it's a great one to experiment with. -Darlene Morris, Franklinton, Louisiana
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Sprinkle chicken with salt; place in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Place the tomatoes, onion, chiles, almonds, raisins, chocolate, oil, chipotle pepper, garlic, cumin and cinnamon in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Pour over chicken., Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender; skim fat. Serve chicken with sauce, and sprinkle with cilantro if desired. , Freeze option: Cool chicken in mole sauce. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet or Dutch oven until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 311 calories, Fat 18g fat (5g saturated fat), Cholesterol 86mg cholesterol, Sodium 378mg sodium, Carbohydrate 12g carbohydrate (7g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 26g protein.
EASY CHICKEN MOLE
- To make the mole sauce, soak the chiles in 1 1/4 cups water for 15 minutes. Drain well and discard the soaking liquid.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until translucent, 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender with the chiles, chocolate, chicken broth, peanut butter, sugar, oregano and tostadas and blend until very smooth. Transfer the sauce to a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the rotisserie chicken pieces and stir to combine.
SLOW-COOKER CHICKEN MOLE
- For the chicken mole: Place the ancho and pasilla chiles, slivered almonds and pepitas in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Toast until the pepitas begin to pop and the almonds are deep golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the chiles to a small bowl and cover with boiling water; set another small bowl on top of the chiles to keep them submerged. Let soak for 30 minutes. Set the almonds and pepitas aside.
- Meanwhile, place the Mexican chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high power for 1 minute. Stir together the melted chocolate; unlike conventional chocolate, it will have a grainy, paste-like consistency.
- Add the melted chocolate to a food processor with the toasted almonds and pepitas and the onions, garlic, sesame seeds, tomatoes, raisins, vinegar, chipotle puree and pepper, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, cloves and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Drain the ancho and pasilla chiles and add them to the food processor. Process to a smooth sauce.
- Place the chicken breasts and legs in a 6.5-quart slow cooker and sprinkle liberally with salt. Pour the mole sauce over the chicken, spreading it to cover completely. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high power for 4 hours.
- For the radish salad: About 10 minutes before serving, toss the radishes, radish leaves, cilantro and lime juice together. Season with salt to taste.
- To serve: Place the tortillas over a medium flame (or on a grill or grill pan) and heat until charred in spots but still soft enough to fold.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the slow cooker to a platter. Spoon some mole sauce over the top; serve extra sauce in a bowl on the side. To the platter, add the radish salad, charred tortillas, and lime wedges. Garnish the chicken with the toasted sesame seeds.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken pieces in the hot oil until golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. Reduce heat to medium, and stir in the bay leaf, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, cloves, and cinnamon until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, brown sugar, and chicken broth, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Once simmering, stir in the chocolate chips until melted, then return the chicken pieces to the pot. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender and no longer pink at the bone, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the raisins, and cook 3 minutes longer. Sprinkle with sesame seeds to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 609.5 calories, Carbohydrate 25.2 g, Cholesterol 145.4 mg, Fat 34.6 g, Fiber 3.3 g, Protein 48.7 g, SaturatedFat 9.9 g, Sodium 304.6 mg, Sugar 17.8 g
CHICKEN MOLE POBLANO
- For the mole: Tear the ancho, anaheim, and chipotle chiles into large pieces and toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat until they change color a bit, about 2 minutes. Put them into a bowl with the raisins and cover them with hot water. Soak unti softened, about 30 minutes. In the same skillet over medium heat, add the almonds, sesame seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, oregano, and thyme. Toast for 2 minutes, grind in a spice grinder, and add the powder to a blender. In the same skillet over medium-high heat add the olive oil, onions, garlic, and serrano. Cook until lightly browned, then add the tomatoes. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 10 to 15 minutes, then add to the blender. Add the chocolate and the soaked chiles and raisins to the blender along with some of the chile soaking liquid. Puree, adding more soaking liquid as needed, to make a smooth sauce. (This makes about 4 cups sauce, the recipe uses 2 cups, the extra can be frozen).
- Pour the lemon juice over the chicken and season it well with salt and pepper. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet and brown the chicken on all sides; remove the browned chicken to a plate leaving the oil in the pan. Pour 2 cups of the mole sauce into the hot skillet and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and return the chicken pieces to the pan. Simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the onion and radish slices into a bowl. Add the lime juice and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt. Mix well and serve with the chicken.
- Serve over cooked white rice with the onion and radish salad. Garnish everything with cilantro leaves.
SIMPLE CHICKEN MOLE
This is a recipe my mother in law taught me. My family loves it and it is sooo very simple and inexpensive to make.
Provided by Nateskawaii
Categories Chicken Thigh & Leg
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In the 1 tbsp of oil place the chicken skin down, in a large sauce pan or frying pan. One large enough to make your sauce in later.Fry the chicken on both sides until skin is brown and slightly.
- Season with salt, pepper,and garlic to your own taste,(Garlic being optional,I love it but others don't)
- After chicken is done, set aside and let cool while you make the sauce. Then shred the chicken with a fork or by hand. Removing any veins or fat and skin from the chicken.
- With the drippings in the pan from the chicken put your chili powder and flour, brown very slightly.(should be a smooth paste now if not add some oil,or if too oily add flour)
- Remove from heat and add the water about 1/2 cup at a time while whisking to keep it a smooth paste. Once you have it smooth, return to heat and continue to add water and whisk add about 8 oz. of water then let cook for a few minutes, whisk then add more.
- Repeat water and whisking and heating until it is a thick gravy.
- Now you can add Salt, pepper, cumin and garlic to your own taste.
- After you have the sauce to the desired consistency add the shredded chicken and serve with red rice and flour tortillas.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 298, Fat 18.6, SaturatedFat 4.7, Cholesterol 79, Sodium 114.6, Carbohydrate 14.1, Fiber 1.7, Sugar 0.3, Protein 18.4
CHICKEN MOLE WITH CORIANDER RICE
If you're a fan of chilli con carne, you'll love this dark, sweet and spicy South American stew with ancho, ground nuts and chocolate
Provided by Cassie Best
Categories Dinner, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Put the chillies in a bowl and add enough boiling water to just cover. Leave to soften for 20 mins. If you can't find anchos, grill red peppers until they're really blackened and soft. Cool them, then peel and use as needed in the recipe, adding 1 tsp smoked paprika and a little extra chipotle to re-create the sweet, smoky flavour.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish, season the chicken, then brown on all sides. You may have to do this in batches so you don't overcrowd the dish. Remove to a plate. Add the onions to the dish and cook for 5 mins until softened. Add the spices and cook for 1 min until aromatic.
- Remove the chillies from their soaking liquid, reserving the liquid, and discard the stalks and seeds. Put in a food processor with 4 tbsp of the soaking liquid, the garlic and raisins. Whizz to a paste, then tip into the dish. Add the peanut butter, chipotle paste, tomatoes and 400ml water (fill up the tomato can and swirl to get all the tomato bits out). Return the chicken to the dish and season. Cover with a lid and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hr.
- Remove the chicken pieces to a plate. Using 2 forks, shred the meat and discard the bones. Return the chicken to the sauce, add the chocolate and continue cooking, uncovered, for 30 mins more. If the sauce looks like it's getting a little too thick, add some of the chilli soaking liquid or some water.
- Cook the rice following pack instructions. Meanwhile, put the red onion in a small bowl. Add the lime juice and a pinch of salt. Leave to pickle until ready to serve. When the rice is cooked, add the coriander and lime zest and juice, and fluff up with a fork. Remove the mole from the heat, scatter with the pickled red onion and serve alongside the rice, with soured cream and lime wedges, if you like.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 690 calories, Fat 22 grams fat, SaturatedFat 5 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 93 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 13 grams sugar, Fiber 3 grams fiber, Protein 28 grams protein, Sodium 0.5 milligram of sodium
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish and set aside. In a large non-stick saucepan, heat the oil.
- Add the green onions and garlic and saute over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the tomato puree, raisins, water and coriander and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes uncovered.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 30-45 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
People also searched
More about "chicken mole food"
THE BEST CHICKEN MOLE RECIPE | AUTHENTIC MEXICAN FOOD
CHICKEN MOLE | CHICKEN RECIPES | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPE
WHAT IS MOLE? AND HOW TO MAKE MOLE - FOOD NETWORK
CHICKEN MOLE RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
5/5 (2)Total Time 2 hrs 5 minsServings 8
- Bring 8 cups water and 1/2 tablespoon salt to a boil in a large stockpot over high. Reduce heat to medium-low, and add chicken. Cook until chicken is tender and a thermometer inserted in thickest portion of meat registers 155°F, about 30 minutes. Remove chicken; set aside on a large plate. Reserve 4 cups chicken cooking liquid in a large heatproof bowl; discard remaining cooking liquid.
- Heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high. Add 8 garlic cloves; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, onions, and 1/2 tablespoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and softened, about 8 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender. Secure lid on blender, and remove center piece to allow steam to escape. Place a kitchen towel over opening in lid. Process until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, and set aside.
- Wipe skillet clean. Add 3 cups vegetable oil; heat over medium-high. Working with a few different types of chiles at a time, place in a spider, and submerge in hot oil for 2 seconds per batch. Remove from oil using spider, and place in a large heat-proof bowl. Repeat with remaining chiles and remaining 4 garlic cloves.
- Place sesame seeds and pepitas in a medium metal strainer; submerge in hot oil in skillet over medium-high. Cook, stirring mixture inside strainer and shaking occasionally, until seeds are golden brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer seed mixture to bowl with Chile mixture.
CHICKEN MOLE RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN | FOOD …
Servings 4Difficulty IntermediateAuthor Food Network KitchenSteps 6
BEST CHICKEN MOLE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN MOLE - GOOD …
CHICKEN MOLE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN MOLE? - TEST FOOD KITCHEN
WHAT IS CHICKEN MOLE? (WITH PICTURES) - DELIGHTED COOKING
CHICKEN MOLE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
CHICKEN MOLE - FOOD HERO
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #main-dish #poultry #mexican #easy #chicken #oaxacan #meat #chicken-breasts #taste-mood #savory #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love