There are many variations of picadillo. This is a savory and traditional Cuban home-cooked meal with ingredients that are readily available in any supermarket. Do not omit wine, as it's really important to the flavor of this dish. Serve with garlic and onion white rice, black beans, and fried ripe plantains. Garnish with strips of ham and roasted red pepper.
Provided by lutzflcat
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Place the potatoes into a large pot with enough water to cover; season with salt. Bring the water to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, place a cover on the pot, and cook the potatoes at a simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; cook and stir the onion, green bell pepper, and garlic in the hot oil until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Crumble the ground beef into the onion mixture, breaking the meat into smaller pieces as you mix; cook and stir until the beef is completely browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain as much fat from the mixture as possible.
- Stir the red wine, tomato sauce, olives, capers, golden raisins, cumin, oregano, black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt into the ground beef mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer until the wine had reduced significantly, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Peel the cooled potatoes and cut into chunks.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the potatoes in the hot oil until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Gently fold the cooked potatoes into the simmering ground beef mixture; cook together 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 471.3 calories, Carbohydrate 29.6 g, Cholesterol 78.9 mg, Fat 22 g, Fiber 4.5 g, Protein 26 g, SaturatedFat 6.5 g, Sodium 1337.7 mg, Sugar 10.1 g
CLASSIC CUBAN-STYLE PICADILLO
Here is a classic Cuban recipe for ground beef that is typically eaten over white rice. It can also be used as a filling for tacos or empanadas. It's delicious with fried ripe plantains.
Provided by Amalloch
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir garlic, onion, and green bell pepper in the hot oil until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Crumble ground beef into the skillet; cook and stir until browned completely, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir olives, raisins, capers, tomato sauce, sazon seasoning, cumin, sugar, and salt through the ground beef mixture.
- Cover the skillet, reduce heat to low, and cook until the mixture is heated through, 5 to 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 349.7 calories, Carbohydrate 23.8 g, Cholesterol 74.3 mg, Fat 18.5 g, Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 23.7 g, SaturatedFat 6 g, Sodium 3571.8 mg, Sugar 16.6 g
CUBAN STYLE PICADILLO
This dish is best served over white rice with sweet plantains on the side (I use the frozen package of sweet plantains) Also great as left-overs! My house always smells so good when i make this...makes mouths water as you inhale it! Note: when I make this I pour about 5 tablespoons of Kirby mojo criollo in the hamburger meat, it just adds a tiny bit more flavor
Provided by 1Roze4me
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Cook ground chuck in skillet on med-high heat and drain most of the fat (I always leave some in for flavor) Add mojo criollo (if desired), oregano, red cooking wine, tomato sauce,olives, brown sugar and raisons.
- Put the lid on and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- In separate pan heat olive oil at med-high and add potatoes, onion, red pepper, and garlic (do not add garlic until potatoes are almost done) and cook until potatoes are fully cooked Add them to the pan and re-cover lid.
- Make rice as directed on package.
- Wait about 10 minutes before rice is ready to make the frozen sweet plantains. I cook them long enough so they are fairly dark, then place them on paper towels to drain the canola oil. Serve picadillo over white rice and sweet plantains on the side.
People also searched
More about "classic cuban style picadillo food"
CLASSIC CUBAN-STYLE PICADILLO OVER RICE - CHEF ALLI
Reviews 2Category Main CourseCuisine CubanTotal Time 50 mins
- In a large, hot skillet over medium high heat, crumble the ground beef, then add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, browning the ground beef until it is cooked throughout and the veggies have softened; drain any excess fats from the skillet, then stir in the remaining ingredients, not including the cooked rice. Simmer the Picadillo over low heat for 30-35 minutes, to let the flavors combine. then serve over hot rice. Delish!!!
- Using the sauté setting on the Instant Pot, let the pot preheat a bit, then add the ground beef, crumbling it; add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, browning the beef until it is cooked throughout and the veggies are softened; drain any excess fats from the pot. Stir in remaining ingredients, not including the rice. Lock the Instant Pot lid into place, choosing the high pressure setting for 3 minutes, bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure. When the timer sounds, use a natural release for 5 minutes, then a quick release to remove remaining pressure from the Instant Pot. Carefully unlock and remove the Instant Pot lid, giving the Picadillo a gentle stir. Serve at once over bowls of warm rice.
- Bring 2 1/4 cups of water or broth and 1 Tbs. unsalted butter or olive oil to a boil; stir in 1 1/2 cups RINSED jasmine or basmati rice. Lock the Instant Pot lid into place, choosing the high pressure setting for 3 minutes bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure. When the timer sounds, use a natural release for 1 minute followed by a quick release to remove any remaining pressure from the Instant Pot. Carefully unlock and remove the Instant Pot lid, fluffing the hot rice with a fork. Yield: approx. 3 cups cooked rice.
- To make basmati or jasmine rice on the stove top in a sauce pan, follow the package instructions.
CUBAN PICADILLO DISH & IT'S CLASSIC RECIPE - AMIGOFOODS
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
AUTHENTIC CUBAN PICADILLO RECIPE - MASHED.COM
CUBAN PICADILLO RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
VEGAN CUBAN PICADILLO - VEGAN COCOTTE
EASY PICADILLO RECIPE CUBAN - FOOD NEWS
EASY CUBAN BEEF PICADILLO RECIPE - LITTLE FAMILY ADVENTURE
PICADILLO RECIPE: A CUBAN BEEF CHILI RECIPE - THRILLIST
PICADILLO RECIPE CUBAN : TOP PICKED FROM OUR EXPERTS
CLASSIC CUBAN-STYLE PICADILLO | RECIPE | CUBAN RECIPES, MEXICAN …
CLASSIC CUBAN-STYLE PICADILLO RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
CLASSIC CUBAN-STYLE PICADILLO | RESCOOKING.COM
CUBAN PICADILLO RECIPE PHOTOS - FOOD NEWS
EASY CUBAN PICADILLO RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT - FOOD NEWS
CLASSIC CUBAN STYLE PICADILLO - RECIPES - FAXO
HEALTHY SLOW COOKER CUBAN STYLE PICADILLO [RECIPE] - FOOD NEWS
CLASSIC CUBAN PICADILLO RECIPE - 4 POINTS | LAALOOSH
CUBAN PICADILLO A LA HABANERA RECIPE: A BUDGET-FRIENDLY CUBAN …
CUBAN BEEF PICADILLO RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is a Cuban picadillo?The classic Cuban Picadillo is made with ground beef and white rice. However, you can always replace the beef with ground turkey or chicken. It’s a fairly simple dish that doesn’t take too much to prepare. The dish is also versatile and can be used as filling for empanadas, papa rellena and Mexican tacos.
How long does it take to cook a Cuban picadillo?Recipe creator Kristen Carli has an authentic Cuban picadillo recipe that takes just 10 minutes to prepare and 35 minutes to cook. With a bit of sautéing and frying, you'll be digging in to this classic cuisine in less than an hour. Let's take a look at the ingredients you need to get started.
What do you put on a picadillo?For this recipe, you'll need olive oil, yellow onion (diced), green bell pepper (diced), minced garlic, and ground beef. You'll also need some salt, pepper, ground cumin, chili powder, red potatoes (diced), crushed tomatoes, raisins, green olives, and capers. Finally, you'll need some cooked white rice to serve with your picadillo.
What does picadillo taste like?Picadillo blends various textures and flavors, like concentrated saltiness and plump sweetness, which meld together seamlessly in a dish that's symbolic of good Cuban home cooking. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.