CRANBERRY CHESS PIE
A popular Southern dessert said to originate in England, chess pie consists of staple ingredients: eggs, butter, and sugar, bound with cornmeal, flour, or both. While some recipes rely on tangy buttermilk to offset the rich custard, this version uses lemon juice and barely cooked cranberries instead.
Provided by Sarah Jampel
Yield Makes one 9" pie
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 325°F. Place pie crust on a rimmed baking sheet. Cook cranberries in a medium saucepan over medium heat, shaking pan occasionally, until some have begun to split and burst, 6-8 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid. Remove from heat and let cool (if you're in a rush, transferring to a baking sheet or medium bowl will help them cool faster).
- Combine sugar and salt in a large bowl, then add lemon zest. Use your fingers to rub zest into sugar until moist and fragrant. Whisk in cornmeal and flour, then add eggs and vigorously whisk until well combined, about 30 seconds, Whisk in cream, butter, and vanilla, then add lemon juice and whisk again. Set a few cranberries aside for the top. Gently fold in remaining cranberries with a rubber spatula, breaking up any clumps.
- Gently pour mixture into pie crust and dot reserved cranberries over top of custard (this makes for the most photo-worthy dessert). Bake pie until top is golden brown and set but custard still jiggles in the center (about a 3" radius), 60-70 minutes. If your pie isn't as brown as you'd like it, you can increase oven temperature to 350°F for the last 5-10 minutes. Transfer pie to a wire rack and let cool (custard will fall as it cools). Transfer pie to the fridge and chill at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, dust with powdered sugar if using. For the cleanest slices, cut with a hot dry knife (just like if you were cutting cheesecake).
- Do ahead: Pie can be made 3 days ahead. Keep chilled. Return to room temperature to serve if you'd like.
TEXAS LEMON CHESS PIE
Slice into Southern comfort and go back to a simpler time with this classic, feel-good pie. We consider it a must-have menu item for our family gatherings all year long.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Unroll pastry into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights., Bake at 400° on lower oven rack for 8 minutes. Remove foil and weights: bake 6-9 minutes longer or until bottom of crust is light brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 325°., In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside., In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in the egg yolks, lemon zest, cornmeal and vanilla. Stir in milk and lemon juice. Fold in beaten egg whites. Pour into crust. Cover edges with foil to prevent overbrowning. , Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate, covered, for 3 hours or until chilled. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts :
CRANBERRY PIE II
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C.)
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, orange zest, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat in eggs. Stir in melted butter. Fold in cranberries, then pour into crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until filling is set.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 357.3 calories, Carbohydrate 51.8 g, Cholesterol 85 mg, Fat 15.2 g, Fiber 1.9 g, Protein 4.7 g, SaturatedFat 6.1 g, Sodium 184.5 mg, Sugar 34.1 g
People also searched
More about "cranberry chess pie food"
LIME CHESS PIE WITH CANDIED CRANBERRIES RECIPE - RACHAEL ...
- Using a needle or a paring knife, pierce each cranberry in one or two spots. (This will help infuse the cranberries with lime flavor and prevent them from popping.) In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup sugar, the lime juice, and 1/2 cup water to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the cranberries and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand until cool, about 1 hour. Transfer to a jar. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain the cranberries well. (Reserve the syrup to make flavored sodas or cocktails.) In a small bowl, toss the cranberries and the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Spread out on a baking sheet and let stand until dry, at least 4 hours.
- For the crust, in a food processor, pulse the flour, salt, and sugar. Add the butter; pulse until chickpea-size pieces form, about 6 times. Add 4 tbsp. buttermilk; pulse until moist clumps form. Add the remaining 1 tbsp. buttermilk if the dough is too dry. Transfer the dough to a work surface. Knead a few times to bring the dough together. Form the dough into a ball; flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough into a 13-inch round. Transfer to a 9-inch pie dish, fitting the dough into the edges. Crimp the edges decoratively. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
CRANBERRY-LEMON CHESS PIE - TASTE OF THE SOUTH
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
OLD FASHIONED CHESS PIE RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
5/5 (3)Servings 1
- Bake Pie Crust: Fit piecrust in a 9-inch pieplate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp. Line pastry with aluminum foil. Fill with dried beans or pie weights and bake at 425° for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove weights and foil; bake 2 more minutes or until golden. Cool.
- Make Pie: Stir together sugar, cornmeal, flour, salt, melted butter, milk, white vinegar, and vanilla extract until blended. Add eggs, and stir well before pouring into piecrust.
- Bake at 350° for 50 to 55 minutes, shielding edges with aluminum foil after 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool completely on a wire rack. If desired, garnish with powdered sugar.
CRANBERRY CHOCOLATE CHESS PIE | KING ARTHUR BAKING
5/5 (1)Total Time 1 hr 5 minsServings 1
- Grease and flour a 9" pie pan. Roll the chilled, rested dough into a 12" to 13" circle and fit it into the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F., Place the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
A LEMONY CRANBERRY PIE FOR A BRIGHTER THANKSGIVING
Author Joe SevierEstimated Reading Time 3 mins
29 CHESS PIE RECIPE IDEAS IN 2021 | CHESS PIE RECIPE ...
29 pins80 followers
CRANBERRY & ORANGE CHESS PIE | SUMMER OF PIE
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
AN EASY DESSERT RECIPE FOR CRANBERRY CHESS PIE
Estimated Reading Time 2 minsLocation 342 East Buena Vista Street, Santa Fe, 87505, NM
CRANBERRY CHESS PIE - STYLEBLUEPRINT
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
MAKE THIS CRANBERRY PIE FOR A BRIGHTER THANKSGIVING ...
Author Joe SevierEstimated Reading Time 3 mins
CRANBERRY CHESS TART | WILLIAMS SONOMA
5/5 (1)Total Time 1 hr 35 minsServings 8
CRANBERRY & ORANGE CHESS PIE | CHESS PIE, CRANBERRY ORANGE ...
SALLY'S PIE WEEK | SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
CRANBERRY RECIPES - SERIOUS EATS
CRANBERRY LEMON CHESS PIE - NEWSON6.COM
CRANBERRY CHESS PIE | BAKE THE BOOK - SERIOUS EATS
HOLIDAY SPICED CRANBERRY CHESS PIE - THE SWEET & SOUR BAKER
BAKE - A - HOLIC: CRANBERRY ORANGE CHESS PIE
CRANBERRY CHESS PIE - RECIPE OF THE DAY - HEALTHY LIVING
BAKE THE BOOK: CRANBERRY CHESS PIE - NATURIPE FARMS ...
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook cranberries in a pie crust?Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 325°F. Place pie crust on a rimmed baking sheet. Cook cranberries in a medium saucepan over medium heat, shaking pan occasionally, until some have begun to split and burst, 6–8 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid.
What is chess pie?SUBSCRIBE Already a subscriber? Sign in A popular Southern dessert said to originate in England, chess pie consists of staple ingredients: eggs, butter, and sugar, bound with cornmeal, flour, or both. While some recipes rely on tangy buttermilk to offset the rich custard, this version uses lemon juice and barely cooked cranberries instead.
Is cranberry pie like clafoutis?The cranberry pie recipe comes from Epi contributor Sarah Jampel, who adores chess pie and was looking to offer a Thanksgiving option that’s as easy as clafoutis —the eggy fruit-studded French dessert.
How do you thicken a cranberry pie?This cranberry pie gets its thickening power from a little bit of cornmeal. It has a wonderfully squidgy texture with bright pops of jelly-like burst fruit studded throughout. Stick to dark chocolate for this riff on the classic Thanksgiving pie for a rich, bitter contrast to the sweet pecan filling.