BASIC VEGETABLE STOCK
- Chop scrubbed vegetables into 1-inch chunks. Remember, the greater the surface area, the more quickly vegetables will yield their flavor.
- Heat oil in a soup pot. Add onion, celery, carrots, scallions, garlic, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves. Cook over high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add salt and water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain. Discard vegetables.
- Other ingredients to consider: mushrooms, eggplant, asparagus (butt ends), corn cobs, fennel (stalks and trimmings), bell peppers, pea pods, chard (stems and leaves), celery root parings, marjoram (stems and leaves), basil, potato parings . . . Get the idea?
Nutrition Facts : Calories 37.4 calories, Carbohydrate 5.9 g, Fat 1.4 g, Fiber 1.9 g, Protein 1.3 g, SaturatedFat 0.2 g, Sodium 226.6 mg, Sugar 1.8 g
This easy veggie stock recipe should be a staple in any kitchen. The simple stock will add depth of flavour and herby goodness to a range of soups and stews
Provided by Barney Desmazery
Yield 1 litre
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Tip everything into a large saucepan with a pinch of salt then cover with 2 litres of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 2 hours. Pass through a sieve and use for your intended recipe. Will keep in the fridge for a week and for six months in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 42 calories, Fat 0.1 grams fat, Carbohydrate 2 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 1.7 grams sugar, Fiber 0.3 grams fiber, Protein 0.2 grams protein, Sodium 0.07 milligram of sodium
Saving all the odds and ends in the freezer while doing your daily cooking will give you an endless supply of stocks to cook with. You will not waste even those parts of the vegetables or meat that you paid for (usually by the pound), and will never again need to buy canned stocks. This will save you money and allows you to control the contents of your stocks. All the vegetables I have listed in the ingredients list are just ideas of things to save in your bag. You do not need each and every one of them to make a stock. Everything is optional. When you peel carrots or anything else, wash them first. It is rather difficult to wash peelings. I do not recommend strong flavored herbs like cilantro or vegetables that could color your stock strangely like beets. Note: In order for the recipe to post, I had to include measurements, but you don't need measurements. Just use what you have saved in your bags using more or less of whatever is there.
Provided by Karen From Colorado
Yield 4 quarts
Number Of Ingredients 23
- Save a gallon freezer bag in your freezer.
- Wash all stock ingredients well before peeling.
- As you use your vegetables, chicken, or beef, save the peels, ends, leaves, skins, wing tips etc and place them in separate bags in your freezer. Keep a vegetable bag, a chicken bag and a beef bag. Your vegetable bag will fill the fastest and beef the slowest.
- Once you have a full bag of mixed vegetables, place them all in a large stockpot or a crock pot.
- Pour the water over your ingredients and add the bay leaf, peppercorns and any other herb or spice that you desire.
- If you don't have much garlic or parsley in your freezer bag, then add more if desired. If you have too much, it is not necessary to use it all. Just use what you desire for the flavor you wish to achieve.
- If making meat stock, add meat pieces and bones to the vegetables.
- If using a stockpot, bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours until vegetables are very soft.
- If using a crock pot, cover and cook on low overnight or for 6 to 8 hours.
- Strain stock through a colander to remove vegetables and herbs.
- Strain stock again through doubled layers of cheesecloth to remove all other small particles if desired.
- Stock can be reduced even further if desired or place in quart freezer bags, date and note the contents.
- Stock can be kept up to 6 months in your freezer.
- For Vegetarian and Vegan omit the beef and chicken.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 84.5, Fat 0.8, SaturatedFat 0.2, Sodium 125, Carbohydrate 18.6, Fiber 5.4, Sugar 6, Protein 3.9
More about "homemadestock food"
HOMEMADE VEGETABLE STOCK | RECIPETIN EATS
5/5 (6)Category StocksServings 4Calories 113 per serving
- Simmer 2 hours: Place all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to simmer over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours without a lid. The water should not be bubbling, it should just ripple gently. Stock should reduce by about half.
- Strain, pressing juices out of the vegetables. You should have 1 litre / 1 quart (4 cups) of stock. If you have much more than this, return the strained liquid into the pot and simmer to continue to reduce.
- Storage: Keeps in the fridge for 5 days, or freeze for 3 months. I usually freeze in 1 cup portions in jars, small ziplock bags (freeze flat for efficient use of space and faster defrosting) or in plastic containers.
HOMEMADE SEAFOOD STOCK RECIPE (USING SEAFOOD SHELLS)
4/5 (1)Total Time 1 hr 50 minsServings 8Calories 138 per serving
THE BASICS OF MAKING STOCK - THE SPRUCE EATS
BROTH AND STOCK RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
HOW TO MAKE VEGETABLE STOCK FROM KITCHEN SCRAPS
STOCK RECIPES - BON APPéTIT RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE STOCK | CANADIAN LIVING
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN BEEF, CHICKEN, OR VEGGIE STOCK
HOMEMADE STOCK RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
SEARCH RESTON JOBS AT WEGMANS FOOD MARKETS
THE 5 BEST FRENCH RESTAURANTS IN RESTON - TRIPADVISOR
THE 10 BEST RESTON FOOD DELIVERY & TAKEOUT - UBER EATS
COMSTOCK COMPANIES - DULLES CORRIDOR’S LEADING DEVELOPER
DIY STOCK – TO MAKE OR TO BUY? | BBC GOOD FOOD
USING STOCK CUBES IN BABY FOOD – MUMMY COOKS
HOMEMADE STOCKS | RECIPETIN EATS
10 HOMEMADE CAT FOOD RECIPES EVERY CAT WILL LOVE | HEPPER
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
Where can I find broth and stock recipes?Looking for broth and stock recipes? Allrecipes has more than 50 trusted broth and stock recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. This is not a quick recipe, but the results are worth it. I usually take an entire Saturday to make this, but most of the time it's simmering on the stove, so it's not labor intensive.
How to make homemade beef chicken or veggie stock?Homemade Beef, Chicken, or Veggie Stock 1 Combine the beef or poultry bones, veggies, seasonings, and spices in a large stockpot. Cover ingredients by about 2... 2 Place pot over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 to 4 hours, skimming off and discarding... More ...
What are the benefits of making homemade stock?Making homemade stock is a fantastic way to turn leftover produce and bones from meat and poultry, that you'd otherwise throw out, into an essential ingredient for rich, flavor-packed meals and sides.
What is the best stock to use for vegetarian cooking?A flavorful stock is the key to successful vegetarian cooking. Carrots, celery, onion, scallions, garlic, parsley, thyme and bay leaf are combined to create 2 quarts of this versatile stock.