LEMON POPPYSEED MINI SCONES
Provided by Ree Drummond : Food Network
Yield 24 mini scones
Number Of Ingredients 13
- For the scones: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Sift together the flour, granulated sugar and baking powder. Cut the cold butter into pats, then use a pastry cutter or 2 knives to cut the butter into the flour mixture. Keep going until the mixture is crumbly, then stir in the poppy seeds.
- Mix together the heavy cream, lemon zest and juice and egg in a small pitcher. Stir the wet ingredients into the flour mixture with a fork or spatula just until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and lightly press it together until it forms a rough rectangle (the mixture will be pretty crumbly). Use a rolling pin to roll into a rectangle about 12 inches by 7 inches and 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Use your hands to help with the forming if necessary. Then cut the rectangle into 12 symmetrical rectangles, first cutting lengthwise into 3 strips and then across into 4 strips. Next, cut each rectangle in half diagonally, to form 2 triangles. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until cooked through but not yet golden, about 16 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the lemon glaze: Whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, lemon zest and juice and salt until completely smooth, adding more milk if needed for thinning.
- Dip the scones in the glaze, then sprinkle with poppy seeds. Allow the glaze to set completely before serving.
LEMON POPPY SEED SCONES
The method for making these scones is very simple but can be a little scary for a novice baker, since the dough starts off in such rough shape. If you're able to wrestle it all together on the table, verses mixing into a dough ball in the bowl, you'll be rewarded with a much tenderer scone. But even a slightly tough one, painted with a fruity fresh strawberry glaze, will be a winner at any special-occasion brunch or teatime.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place self-rising flour in a large bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add poppy seeds, sugar, and lemon zest; mix to combine. Make a well in the center and pour in egg, lemon juice, and milk. Mix with a fork until dough starts to come together. Scoop up with one hand until a shaggy dough forms.
- Pour dough out onto your work surface. Use your hands and a bench scraper to gather and press dough into a neat rectangle about 1- to 1-1/2-inches tall. Cut into 4 squares and then diagonally into 8 triangles. Space scones evenly onto a silicone-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bottoms are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Mash strawberries finely to resemble a puree. Whisk in powdered sugar in batches to make a thick, spreadable glaze. Spread glaze over the cooled scones. Let scones cool on the rack until glaze hardens, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 389.4 calories, Carbohydrate 61.1 g, Cholesterol 54.7 mg, Fat 13.8 g, Fiber 1.6 g, Protein 5.9 g, SaturatedFat 7.8 g, Sodium 560.8 mg, Sugar 28.4 g
LEMON POPPY SEED SCONES
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Position rack in top third of oven.
- Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel and salt in food processor.
- Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk egg, and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend.
- Add flour mixture.
- Using on/off turns, process until moist clumps form.
- Add 1/3 cup milk.
- Using on/off turns, process just until dough comes together, adding more milk if dough seems dry.
- Using floured hands, gather dough into ball.
- Flatten to 8" round.
- Cut round into 8 wedges.
- Transfer scones to large baking sheet; brush with milk.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbs sugar.
- Bake until scones are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to rack and cool.
- (Can be made one day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature).
LEMON-POPPY SEED SCONES
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Position rack in top third of oven. Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel, and salt in processor. Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk egg and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend. Add to flour mixture. Using on/off turns, process until moist clumps form. Add 1/3 cup milk. Using on/off turns, process just until dough comes together, adding more milk if dough seems dry. Using floured hands, gather dough into ball. Flatten into 8-inch round. Cut round into 8 wedges. Transfer scones to large baking sheet; brush with milk. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake until scones are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)
POPPY SEED LEMON SCONES
You'll love the appealing look and delicate texture of these lightly sweet scones. For the best results, work quickly to mix and cut them. The less you handle the dough, the more tender the scones are. They're delightful served warm with homemade lemon curd for breakfast or with a salad for lunch. -Linda Murray, Allenstown, New Hampshire
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 scones.
Number Of Ingredients 17
- In a heavy saucepan or top of a double boiler, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in butter, lemon juice and zest. Cook and stir over low heat or simmering water for 15 minutes or until mixture reaches 160° and is thickened. Cover and refrigerate until chilled (may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week). , For scones, combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine milk and lemon juice; stir into crumb mixture just until blended (dough will be soft). , Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead gently six times. Shape into a ball. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle; cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with additional sugar. , Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan to wire rack. Serve warm with the lemon curd.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 419 calories, Fat 19g fat (11g saturated fat), Cholesterol 100mg cholesterol, Sodium 444mg sodium, Carbohydrate 58g carbohydrate (32g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 6g protein.
LEMON POPPY SEED SCONES
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease cookie sheet.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and poppy seed in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture is fine crumbs.
- Mix lemon juice and milk, stir into flour mixture until dough forms a ball.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface, gently roll in flour to coat.
- Knead lightly 10 times.
- Roll or pat into a 9in circle. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 12-15 mins or until golden brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 228, Fat 9.3, SaturatedFat 5.5, Cholesterol 23.5, Sodium 275.4, Carbohydrate 32.2, Fiber 1, Sugar 6.6, Protein 4.3
STUFFED LEMON-POPPY SEED SCONES
Cake flour is clutch in this recipe for creating a perfectly balanced fluffy, crumbly and moist scone texture. Soaking the poppy seeds in warm milk softens them a bit and helps release their nutty flavor when baked. To prevent the curd leaking out during baking, take care to really pinch and seal the two disks of dough together all around the edges.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 8 scones
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat the oven to 425˚ F. Heat the milk in a small saucepan or warm in the microwave until steaming. Remove from the heat and stir in the poppy seeds. Let stand until cooled, about 20 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice to thicken and sour the milk.
- Whisk the cake flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, tea and salt in a medium bowl; work in the cold butter and lemon zest with your fingers until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Make a well in the center, then add the egg and milk-poppy seed mixture. Stir together until combined and a soft dough forms, gently kneading the dough in the bowl once stirring becomes difficult.
- Divide the dough in half and gently pat each portion into a 6- to 7-inch disk (1/4 to 1/2 inch thick), lightly dusting the dough and your fingers with flour if the dough is too sticky. Transfer one disk of dough to a baking sheet and spread the lemon curd on top, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge. Place the remaining disk of dough on top of the curd and pinch the edges together to seal. Brush the top with milk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Score the dough into 8 wedges, cutting about halfway into the top layer of dough but not into the filling.
- Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool 5 to 10 minutes on the baking sheet. Slide off the baking sheet and onto the rack; let cool at least 45 more minutes. Cut into wedges along the scored lines.
GLUTEN-FREE LEMON POPPY SEED SCONES
I minimized the amount of sugar, and it works quite well if you eat them with lemon curd or jam and/or whipped cream.
Provided by InnerHarmonyNutriti
Yield 12-20 mini scones
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Soak poppy seeds in milk and store in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF/180ºC degrees.
- In a food processor, mix flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add small chunks of chilled butter and mix.
- Beat an egg in a small bowl and add a half of the egg as well as the milk with poppy seeds, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Mix until the dough comes together in a big lump.
- On a flat surface dusted with extra flour, gather the dough into one ball. Divide the ball into two or three depending on how small you want your scones (I divided into two).
- Flatten the dough into round disks (about 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick). Cut into 6 - 8 wedges.
- Add a tiny amount of water to the remaining egg and brush the egg wash on top of the scones.
- Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. Infuse love and serve (with lemon curd/jam and/or whipped cream if you wish)!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 79.6, Fat 5.8, SaturatedFat 3.3, Cholesterol 28.9, Sodium 133.5, Carbohydrate 6.4, Fiber 0.2, Sugar 5.6, Protein 0.9
RUSTIC LEMON POPPY SEED SCONES
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in margarine until the mixture is crumbly (consistency will be coarse).
- Stir in poppy seeds and lemon zest.
- Make a well in the center of the ingredients.
- Beat egg in a small bowl until frothy; stir in the milk.
- Pour egg mixture into the well you made in the flour mixture, and stir with a fork to form a soft dough.
- Do not overmix.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 8-10 times; divide dough into 6 equal portions, and form into slightly flattened balls.
- Place balls 1-2" apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with some confectioners sugar.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes, or until well risen and both tops and bottoms are slightly browned.
- Serve with butter, clotted cream, jam, or marmalade, if you desire.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 291, Fat 10.5, SaturatedFat 2.3, Cholesterol 39, Sodium 550.6, Carbohydrate 42.8, Fiber 1.4, Sugar 8.7, Protein 6.6
PROCESSOR POPPY SEED LEMON SCONES
These are made in a food processor, which produces a very light airy scone. Make certain that your butter is very cold, I freeze my butter for about 5-8 minutes. These are best eaten warm out of the oven, or the same day.
Provided by Kittencalrecipezazz
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- In the food processor mix the flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon zest and salt until combined (about 3-4 seconds).
- Add in the cold butter pieces, using on/off turns until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a bowl whisk together egg and lemon juice, then add to the flour mixture, using on/off turns process until moist clumps form.
- Add in 1/3 cup cream or milk, then process with on/off turns until the mixture comes togther, adding in a little more cream or milk if the mixture seems dry.
- With floured hands gather dough into a ball, then flatten into about an 8-inch round disc.
- Cut into 8 even wedges, then transfer the wedges to prepared baking sheet.
- Brush each scone with half and half cream, then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the scones are baked.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 456.4, Fat 18.7, SaturatedFat 10.4, Cholesterol 65.8, Sodium 569.8, Carbohydrate 66.5, Fiber 2.2, Sugar 28.5, Protein 7
People also searched
More about "lemon poppy seed scones food"
LEMON POPPY SEED SCONES WITH GLAZE | SALT & BAKER
LEMON–POPPY SEED SCONES RECIPE - COUNTRY LIVING
LEMON–POPPY SEED SCONES - THE PIONEER WOMAN
Servings 16Total Time 2 hrsCategory Brunch, Baking, BreakfastPublished 2021-05-14
- For the scones: Preheat the oven to 400˚. Sift together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the poppy seeds. Add the butter and use a pastry blender or two knives to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs and there are no large chunks of butter.
- Mix the heavy cream, egg and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Add the cream mixture to the flour mixture; stir gently with a fork until combined. The dough should be crumbly, but if it’s too crumbly to work with, splash in a small amount of heavy cream.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and lightly press it together into a rough rectangle. Use a rolling pin to roll it into an 8-by-12-inch rectangle (use your hands to help shape it if necessary).
- Transfer the scones to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until just golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer the scones to a rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze: Combine the powdered sugar, milk, lemon zest and juice and salt in a medium bowl. Stir until smooth, adjusting the thickness with more powdered sugar or milk if necessary.
- Place the rack of scones over a baking sheet to catch drips, then spread the glaze on the scones. Before the glaze sets, sprinkle the tops lightly with poppy seeds.
GLAZED LEMON POPPY SEED TEA BREAD – PLUM DELUXE TEA
LEMON BLUEBERRY POPPY SEED SCONES - FETTY'S FOOD BLOG
LEMON POPPY SEED SCONES RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
LEMON POPPY SEED SCONES - FLOURING KITCHEN
LEMON POPPY SEED SCONES - SUGAR SPUN RUN
FAT FREE LEMON-POPPY SEED-SCONES RECIPE - FOOD.COM
LEMON POPPYSEED MINI SCONES CALORIES, CARBS & NUTRITION FACTS ...
LEMON POPPYSEED SCONES - A LATTE FOOD
LEMON POPPY SEED SCONES - RECIPE GIRL
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #preparation #appetizers #breads #oven #finger-food #vegetarian #dietary #scones #high-calcium #quick-breads #high-in-something #equipment #presentation #served-hot
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make lemon-poppy seed scones?"Every morning, owners Julie and David Ledbetter make scones, and the lemon-poppy seed ones are out of this world. I'd love to make those scones at home." Preheat oven to 375°F. Position rack in top third of oven. Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel, and salt in processor.
What is the best recipe for scones?For scones, combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine milk and lemon juice; stir into crumb mixture just until blended (dough will be soft). Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead gently six times.
What is the best recipe for a poppy seed cake?Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Position rack in top third of oven. Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel and salt in food processor. Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk egg, and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend.
How to make poppy seed Lemonade?Add poppy seeds, sugar, and lemon zest; mix to combine. Make a well in the center and pour in egg, lemon juice, and milk. Mix with a fork until dough starts to come together.