CLASSIC BISTRO STYLE GRATIN DAUPHINOIS - FRENCH GRATIN POTATOES
This classic French potato gratin dish is world famous, and rightly so! I am quite happy to have this as a main meal, with just some crusty bread and a large mixed salad on the side. I have heard that this famous dish was created as a way of encouraging the "Dauphin" (the young prince destined to become King Henri II), to eat up his vegetables, hence the name! Maybe - it is certainly just as popular with children, as it is with adults. Try to slice the potatoes as thinly as possible for the best results. A wonderful accompaniment for all sorts of roast meats, stews, casseroles and poultry. This recipe is not strictly French, using as it does a Swiss cheese.
Provided by French Tart
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat the oven to 300F/150C/gas mark 2.
- Take a heavy-bottomed dish or an ovenproof gratin dish (a Le Creuset is ideal - the potatoes tend not to catch), and grease it will with some of the butter.
- Layer the potato slices in the dish, slightly overlapping each other, seasoning lightly with the salt and pepper, and sprinkling a liberal amount of cheese on each layer.
- Sprinkle cheese on the top of the last layer.
- Put the double cream, garlic and sprigs of thyme in a pan and bring to them gently to the boil, then remove the thyme and pour hot cream over the potatoes.
- Dot the top of the gratin with the remaining butter and some extra cheese if you wish, and bake for about 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs, or until the potatoes are soft, and the top is crispy and golden brown.
- Serve bubbling hot as a main meal or as an accompaniment.
MADAME LARACINE'S GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (MADAME LARACINE'S POTATO GRATIN)
Provided by Patricia Wells
Categories side dish
Yield Six to eight servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with the milk and water. Add the garlic, salt and bay leaves and, with the pan partially covered, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally so that the potatoes do not stick to the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring from time to time, until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart, about 10 minutes.
- Using a large, flat strainer, transfer half the potatoes to an eight-cup gratin dish. Sprinkle with nutmeg, pepper, half the cream and half the cheese. Cover with the remaining potatoes and sprinkle again with pepper, nutmeg and the remaining cream and cheese. (Discard the milk, water and herbs in which the potatoes were cooked.)
- Bake until the gratin is crisp and golden on top, about one hour. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 377, UnsaturatedFat 7 grams, Carbohydrate 36 grams, Fat 19 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 17 grams, SaturatedFat 11 grams, Sodium 828 milligrams, Sugar 5 grams
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring 2 cups of the heavy cream to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Add the potatoes, salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
- Rub the cut side of the garlic clove on the bottom and sides of an 8-inch casserole or baking dish. Add the potatoes and cream and top with the remaining cream and Gruyere cheese. Sprinkle chives over top, if using. Bake on a baking sheet until potatoes are tender and cheese is golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
CLASSIC BISTRO POTATO GRATIN DAUPHINOISE
Provided by Food Network
Yield 6 to 8 portions
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 2 quart flame proof casserole or gratin dish.
- Peel the potatoes and hold them in cold water until ready to proceed with the recipe.
- Combine the garlic, cream, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Dry the potatoes fully and cut them into rounds, beginning at one end, using a mandoline. Set the blade on the mandoline to cut a thin, 1/8-inch thick, slice. Place the potato slices into the gratin dish carefully layering them in a circular fashion. Pour the seasoned cream over the potatoes and shake the dish gently to allow the cream to flow towards the bottom of the dish.
- Place the gratin dish on the stovetop over low heat and begin to warm the contents until the cream has begun to simmer. Cook the potatoes in the seasoned cream for 5 minutes and then place the gratin dish into the oven.
- Bake the potatoes for 45 to 60 minutes until the top has browned to a rich golden color and the cream is bubbling along the side of the dish.
- Remove the gratin from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
ULTIMATE GRATIN DAUPHINOIS
An utterly irresistable creamy potato side dish with very few ingredients but oozing with flavour, try our ultimate gratin daphinois
Provided by Angela Nilsen
Categories Buffet, Dinner, Side dish, Supper
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 4/fan oven 140C. Rub the butter all over the surface of a gratin dish, about 18x28cm/7x11in. Peel and slice the potatoes to a width of 3mm/1⁄8in. Lay the slices on a clean tea towel and pat dry. Keep them covered with the tea towel while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan. Add the garlic, thyme and shallot (if using). Slowly heat the milk and, just as it is about to reach boiling point and you see bubbles appearing around the edge of the pan, remove it from the heat. Strain the liquid into a large jug, sprinkle in the nutmeg and keep warm.
- Layer half the potato slices in the dish, slightly overlapping the slices and sprinkling with a little salt and freshly ground pepper between each layer. You don't have to be too neat with the lower layers, but keep some of your best slices for later, so the top looks good.
- Pour half the hot milk and cream over the potatoes, then finish off layering the rest of the potatoes (arranging them a bit more carefully this time). Pour over the rest of the hot milk and cream. Scatter the cheese over the top and bake for about one hour, until golden and tender. Leave the dish to stand for about 5 minutes, then serve sprinkled with a few fresh thyme leaves.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 384 calories, Fat 28 grams fat, SaturatedFat 18 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 27 grams carbohydrates, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 7 grams protein, Sodium 0.27 milligram of sodium
This traditional French casserole of thinly sliced potatoes with milk, cream, garlic, and Gruyere cheese, takes a little effort, but the result is a bubbling, indulgent accompaniment to a special meal.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Categories Food & Cooking Main Dish Recipes Casserole Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with rack in center. Generously butter a 9-by-12-inch glass baking dish. Peel potatoes, and slice into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Place slices in a bowl of cold water as you go to prevent discoloration.
- In a medium saucepan, combine garlic, milk, heavy cream, salt, nutmeg, and bay leaf. Bring just to a simmer over medium heat, and pour into prepared baking dish. Discard bay leaf.
- Drain potatoes in a colander, and transfer to baking dish. Using a large spoon, toss potatoes with milk mixture pressing down gently to distribute the potato slices evenly. Season with pepper. Dot with butter, distributing evenly over entire surface; sprinkle with cheese.
- Place in oven; bake until potatoes can be pierced with a fork and top is brown, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve immediately.
More about "madame laracines gratin dauphinois madame laracines potato gratin food"
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS MADAME LARACINE (MADAME …
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
POTATOES AU GRATIN (DAUPHINOISE) | RECIPETIN EATS
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (A FRENCH POTATO SIDE DISH)
POTATO GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (POTATOES DAUPHINOISE)
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS - A CREAMY FRENCH POTATO RECIPE EVERYONE …
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS | TOUR DE FRANCE RECIPES | SBS FOOD
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS POTATOES | JULIE BLANNER
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (SCALLOPED POTATOES) - MON PETIT FOUR®
GRATIN DAUPHINOISE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
POTATO GRATIN (DAUPHINOIS) - A DELICIOUS FRENCH STYLE POTATO DISH
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (CREAMY POTATO BAKE) | ALL TIME FRENCH CLASSICS
MADAME LARACINE'S GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (MADAME LARACINE'S POTATO …
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS MADAME LARACINE | RECIPES, …
MADAME LARACINE'S GRATIN DAUPHINOIS - FAMALITA
MADAME LARACINE'S POTATO GRATIN (GRATIN DAUPHINOIS MADAME …
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS - WIKIPEDIA
MADAME LARACINE'S GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (MADAME LARACINE'S POTAT
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love