My take on traditional moussaka. The beauty of this recipe (besides great taste) is it's ability to freeze (and defrost) so well, with no loss of flavour, making it ideal for OAMC (once a month cooking). Note: Greeks do not eat their food piping hot out of the oven - especially in the summer heat. Food is served just warm or at room temperature (but cooked that day - otherwise it is reheated to freshen it). Flavour is more pronounced at this temperature.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by evelynathens
Yield 8-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 23
This traditional moussaka is truly the best, and just as authentic as any you'd try in Greece! While it takes a bit of time, it's actually quite simple to make. Kali orexi! (Bon appetit!)
Recipe From allrecipes.com
Provided by Anonymous
Number Of Ingredients 18
Recipe From foodnetwork.com
Provided by Bobby Flay
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 29
Our take on this classic Greek casserole uses a mixture of ricotta and feta cheeses instead of the conventional white sauce, which is made from butter, flour, and milk.
Recipe From marthastewart.com
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 15
Make our easy moussaka for an instant crowd pleaser. This classic Greek dish of layered thinly sliced potato, aubergine and lamb is topped with a creamy béchamel sauce.
Recipe From bbcgoodfood.com
Provided by Esther Clark
Categories Dinner, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 19
Moussaka (or Moussakás as it is pronounced in Greek)needs no introduction as it is now considered one of Greece's national dishes and is probably, by and large, initially responsible for making Greek cooking so popular. This recipe, however, will make you compare all the Moussaka you have ever tried and they will, as unlikely as it may seem, fall short in comparison - it really is that good. Straight from my own dinner table, on Zakynthos Island, Greece, to yours. Any questions? Feel free to contact me. Wishing you kalí órexi - bon appetit, Maria www.authentic-greek-recipes.com
Recipe From food.com
Provided by Chef Maria
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 8-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 27
People also searched
More about "moussaka recipes"
MOUSSAKA RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
2017-09-23 · Step 1. Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 475°. Whisk half of the garlic, ½ cup oil, 1 Tbsp. mint, and 1 Tbsp. oregano in a small bowl. …
- Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 475°. Whisk half of the garlic, ½ cup oil, 1 Tbsp. mint, and 1 Tbsp. oregano in a small bowl. Brush both sides of eggplant rounds with herb oil, making sure to get all the herbs and garlic onto eggplant; season with salt and pepper. Transfer eggplant to a rimmed baking sheet (it’s okay to pile the rounds on top of each other) and roast until tender and browned, 35–45 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 400°.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a large wide pot over high. Cook lamb, breaking up with a spoon, until browned on all sides and cooked through and liquid from meat is evaporated (there will be a lot of rendered fat), 12–16 minutes. Strain fat through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean small bowl and transfer lamb to a medium bowl. Reserve 3 Tbsp. lamb fat; discard remaining fat.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. lamb fat in same pot over medium-high (reserve remaining 1 Tbsp. lamb fat for assembling the moussaka). Add onion, cinnamon, 2½ tsp. salt, and ½ tsp. pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender and translucent, 8–10 minutes. Add chiles and remaining garlic and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot, until onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add paprika and tomato paste and cook until brick red in color, about 1 minute. Add wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and no longer smells of alcohol, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and break up with a wooden spoon into small pieces (the seeds will shoot out at you if you’re too aggressive, so start slowly—puncture the tomato, then get your smash and break on!). Add lamb and remaining 1 Tbsp. mint and 1 Tbsp. oregano and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated and mixture looks like a thick meat sauce, 5–7 minutes. Pluck out and discard ci
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium until foaming. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, until combined, about 1 minute. Whisk in warm milk and bring sauce to a boil. Cook béchamel, whisking often, until very thick (it should have the consistency of pudding), about 5 minutes; stir in salt. Remove from heat and whisk in farmer cheese and half of the Pecorino. Let sit 10 minutes for cheese to melt, then add egg yolks and vigorously whisk until combined and béchamel is golden yellow.
TRADITIONAL MOUSSAKA RECIPE WITH EGGPLANTS (AUBERGINES) …
2013-05-14 · Now its time to assemble the moussaka. For this moussaka recipe you will need a large baking dish, approx. 20x30cm / 8x12inch and 8cm/3 inch …
- To prepare this Greek moussaka recipe, begin by preparing the eggplants. Remove the stalks from the eggplants and cut them into slices, 1 cm thick. Season with salt and place in a colander for about half an hour.
- and squeeze with your hands, to get rid of the excessive water. Pat them dry and fry in plenty of oil, until nicely colored. Place the fried eggplants on some paper, in order to absorb the oil. (For a lighter version of the traditional Greek moussaka try drizzling the aubergines with some olive oil and bake them for 20 minutes instead of frying them). Set aside when done.
- If you are adding potatoes to your moussaka, now its time to slice them into 0.5cm, half a finger width slices. Fry them or bake them in the same way as the eggplants. Season with some salt and set them aside when done.
- for the moussaka. Heat a large pan to medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Stir in the chopped onions and sauté, until softened and slightly colored. Stir in the mince breaking it up with a wooden spoon and sauté. When it starts to brown, add the the garlic and tomato paste and sauté until the garlic starts to soften. Pour in the red wine to deglaze the meat juices and wait to evaporate. Add the tinned tomatoes, the sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, 1 bay leaf and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer with the lid on for about 30 minutes or until most of the juices have evaporated. Set aside when done.
GREEK MOUSSAKA | CANADIAN LIVING
2007-08-09 · Roast in 450°F (230°C) oven, turning once, until tender and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Béchamel Sauce Meanwhile, in saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; whisk in flour and cook, whisking, for 1 minute. Gradually …
BEST BEEF MOUSSAKA RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
2009-11-11 · Step 4. Heat oil in large pot and add beef. Let brown, breaking up any chunks with a wooden spoon. Add onion and garlic and continue to cook until the onions are soft. Pour in the red wine, cayenne, and oregano and let …
MOUSSAKA (GREEK BEEF AND EGGPLANT LASAGNA)
2019-03-29 · Heat olive oil in a large skillet or pot over high heat, then cook the garlic and onion for 2 minutes. Add the beef or lamb and cook until it changes from pink to brown, breaking it up as you go. Add wine, cook for 1.5 minutes …
MOUSSAKA RECIPE - NYT COOKING
Prepare lamb: In a large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add remaining onions and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes. Add lamb, in stages if necessary, and brown well, breaking up pieces with a wooden spoon. Add …
MOUSSAKA RECIPE - BBC FOOD
To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a large saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for a few seconds, then gradually stir in the milk. Add half the Parmesan and the grated nutmeg. Simmer ...
MOUSSAKA RECIPE - JO COOKS
2022-05-03 · Preheat your oven to 400 F. Slice the potatoes, eggplant, and zucchini to 1/4″ slices. Make the potato layer: Toss the potatoes with red onion, olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano. Spread the slices in a single layer …
BEST VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA RECIPE - THE MEDITERRANEAN …
2020-01-24 · Arrange the potatoes, zucchini and eggplant slices on lightly oiled baking sheets. Brush with extra virgin olive oil. Bake in heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes just until tender. Assemble Vegetarian Moussaka in a 9 x 13 baking …
MOUSSAKA RECIPE | SAINSBURY`S MAGAZINE
Cook over a high heat, stirring well to break up the mince, until the meat starts to brown. Add the garlic, mint, cinnamon and tomato purée and cook for 1 minute. Tip in the tomatoes and add 200ml water. Season and simmer uncovered for …
MOUSSAKA | RICARDO
Bechamel. In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese and remove from the heat. In a skillet over medium …
GREEK MOUSSAKA RECIPE: EGGPLANT CASSEROLE - THE …
2021-10-17 · Assemble the moussaka. When ready, lightly oil a 9 ½" x 13" oven-safe baking dish. Layer half the eggplant slices on the bottom. Add the meat sauce and spread well. Add the remaining eggplant slices. Pour the bechamel …
BEST RECIPE FOR GREEK MOUSSAKA - REAL GREEK RECIPES
2017-01-09 · Cut off the top and bottom of the eggplants. Slice the eggplants into 1 cm - ¼ inch thick slices. Fill a large bowl with water and add the eggplants. Let them soak for at least 15 minutes to remove some of their bitterness. Transfer …
TRADITIONAL MOUSSAKA RECIPE - COOKING IN PLAIN GREEK
2011-11-20 · Assembling the moussaka. Take a pan about 28 x 36 centimeters (11 x 14 inches). Spread a very thin layer of bread crumbs at the bottom. You could oil the pan with a brush, so the right amount of crumbs will stick there. …
MOUSSAKA RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT - TASTE OF HOME
Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
MOUSSAKA - A CLASSIC GREEK LAMB RECIPE | GREEDY GOURMET
2021-03-09 · Instructions. For the Aubergine Layer: Preheat the oven to 200°C / fan 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4. Brush both sides of the aubergine with olive oil and season. Place the slices in a single layer on a baking tray. Roast for 25 minutes, turning them halfway through.
EASY VEGAN MOUSSAKA - MINIMALIST BAKER RECIPES
2021-02-19 · Vegan Moussaka. This vegan moussaka consists of three layers: 1) roasted eggplants slices, 2) a lentil tomato filling, and 3) a roasted garlic bechamel sauce. Before roasting the eggplant, we sprinkle it generously with salt and allow it to sit in a colander or bowl. This helps draw out the moisture so that once roasted, it’s perfectly fork ...
MOUSSAKA RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
Vegetarian moussaka. 22 ratings. Leave out the lamb and serve up a veggie take on this classic Greek recipe. It's packed with lentils, sweet potato, aubergine and fragrant spices with a …
RUSTIC EGGPLANT MOUSSAKA | FEASTING AT HOME
2013-03-08 · Instructions. Pre-heat oven to 400 F. Cut eggplant into ⅓- ¼ inch thick disks (no thinner), sprinkle with a little kosher salt and let sit in a colander or bowl for 20-60 minutes. Eggplant will start to release liquid (making it less bitter) Rinse well, pat dry and brush each side with olive oil (or use spray oil).
MOUSSAKA RECIPE | BEEF + LAMB NEW ZEALAND
Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. 10. While the meat is cooking, prepare the cheese sauce (see below). 11. To assemble the moussaka, arrange one third of the aubergine slices in the base of the prepared dish. 12. Spread over half the mince. 13. Repeat the layers, finishing with a layer of aubergine slices.
MOUSSAKA (MUSAKA) RECIPE - AMIRA'S PANTRY
2019-11-22 · How to make Moussaka: Add olive oil to a pan over high heat and sautee onion for a couple of minutes. Add the ground meat, break it apart and brown until no longer pink. Add the spices and mix well. Pour in the broth and the tomato sauce and mix. Add the diced tomato and lower the heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
MOUSSAKA | WILLIAMS SONOMA
2017-08-18 · Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Brush the slices on both sides with 5 Tbs. of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until the eggplant is tender and lightly browned, about 20 minutes, rotating the baking ...
GREEK MOUSSAKA WITH POTATOES RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
2022-06-23 · Make the Casserole. Gather the ingredients. In a large frying pan, sauté potato slices until lightly browned. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a large baking or roasting pan and sprinkle bottom with breadcrumbs. Place a layer of potato slices on breadcrumbs (it's OK to …
MOUSSAKA RECIPE (GREEK-INSPIRED) | KITCHN
2022-01-12 · Alternatively, the moussaka can be fully assembled, wrapped tightly, and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bake directly from the refrigerator, removing the wrapping first, and adding additional baking time as needed. Storage: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
MOUSSAKA RECIPE - THE DARING GOURMET
2020-02-20 · In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and brown the ground beef and sausage until no pink remains. Add the onions and garlic and continue to cook until the onions are soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, all the seasonings, the bay leaf, and the wine. Stir to combine.
CLASSIC GREEK EGGPLANT MOUSSAKA RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
2021-07-23 · Place the eggplant slices in a colander and salt them liberally. Cover with an inverted plate and weigh down the plate with a heavy can or jar. Place the colander in the sink and let the eggplants brine for 1 hour or a minimum of 15 to 20 minutes. While the eggplants are brining, cut the potatoes into 1/4-inch slices.
THE BEST GREEK MOUSSAKA - THE BALKAN FOODIE
2022-01-22 · Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium to high heat. Add the eggplant slices and sauté in batches for 2–3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Add more oil when the pan is dry. When ready, place the eggplant slices on kitchen paper to drain the oil.
MOUSSAKA RECIPE | EATINGWELL
Layer half of the eggplant in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cover with the meat sauce. Sprinkle with feta (or graviera) cheese and top with the remaining eggplant. Pour the béchamel over the eggplant and smooth with a spatula. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake the moussaka until bubbling at the edges, about 45 minutes.
CLASSIC MOUSSAKA (THE BEST) | RICARDO
Remove 3 tbsp (45 ml) of the cooking fat from the bowl and place in the skillet. In the same skillet over medium heat, lightly brown the onions in the cooking fat, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and paprika. Cook for 1 minute while stirring. Deglaze with the white wine.
MOUSSAKA | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
Step 1. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with the oil. In a large skillet brown eggplant slices over medium heat about 2 minutes per side. Drain; set aside. Step 2. In the same skillet cook ground lamb or beef, half at a time, until meat is browned, cooking the onion and garlic with the second batch of meat.
TURKISH MOUSSAKA RECIPE - THE ODEHLICIOUS
2022-01-05 · Preheat the oven in 200 C or 400 F. By using a baking tray, add first the fried eggplant, followed by the cooked ground beef, and repeat the process. Make sure the last layer should be the ground beef. Add the chopped basil leaves and place it above as a topping before transferring into the oven.
MOUSSAKA - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
2021-10-15 · Assemble the Moussaka: Place a layer of potatoes in the bottom of a 32cm/12.5in baking dish. Add half of the eggplant then add all of the meat sauce. Top with the remaining eggplant, the bechamel sauce and a generous handful of Parmesan. Bake: Place in the oven and allow to bake for 45-60 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH MOUSSAKA [10 BEST SIDE DISHES]
2022-06-11 · The acidity and saltiness of this dish pairs well with the moussaka. To make tomato fritters, start by chopping up fresh tomatoes and draining them. To make the batter for the fritters, combine the tomatoes with grated red onion, crumbled feta cheese, and herbs. Add flour and baking powder as a binding agent.
MOUSSAKA RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
2022-05-31 · Reheat in the microwave or in the oven at 350°F until just heated through. Freeze leftover moussaka by wrapping it whole or in individual portions, first in plastic wrap and then in foil, for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or oven at 350°F until just heated through.
AUTHENTIC GREEK MOUSSAKA (MUSAKA) WITH LAMB - COOKING GORGEOUS
2021-06-28 · Make the Meat Sauce. Heat a large pan or a dutch oven on medium heat and put the lamb mince in. Cook until it releases its fat and is nicely browned. Break the mince down into small pieces with a wooden spoon while cooking. Add the onions along with the garlic and saute until translucent with the fat from the meat.
AUTHENTIC GREEK MOUSSAKA | AKIS PETRETZIKIS
To assemble. Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan. In a 25x32 cm baking pan, spread a layer of potatoes, cover with a layer of eggplants and top with a layer of zucchini. Season in between layers. Add 2-3 tablespoons of béchamel sauce to the ground meat mixture and mix. Spread the ground meat over the vegetables.
MOUSSAKA RECIPE | GROUND LAMB AND EGGPLANT CASSEROLE | CHEF ALIYE
2021-04-26 · Add ground lamb and cook over medium-high heat until browned, 10-15 minutes. While it's cooking, break it up into smaller pieces, adding about 1/2 teaspoon salt while it's cooking. While the meat is browning, dice onion and bell pepper. Mince garlic. Once the meat is browned, turn the heat down to medium and add onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
BEST CHRISTINE'S MOUSSAKA RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
2010-05-04 · Toss the potatoes with the olive oil in a large bowl. Step 3. Put them in a single layer on a baking sheet and season to taste. Step 4. Roast until soft and starting to brown, about 35 minutes. Step 5. In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Step 6.
VEGAN MOUSSAKA WITH LENTILS - MY GREEK DISH
Stir in the lentils, oregano, the remaining dried bay leaf, and the soaked dried mushrooms, finely chopped. Bring to the boil and season well with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, uncovered, for 1 hour until the lentils are tender, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 220C/430F.
MOUSSAKA: DISCOVER THE ORIGINAL GREEK MOUSSAKA RECIPE
Heat the oil in a deep pan and start browning the ground beef for 5’. 2. Add the finely chopped onion and minced garlic and cook for another 5’-6’. 3. As soon as the onions are soft, pour the wine and let it simmer for a few minutes until the alcohol evaporates. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, bay leaves.