RICH DARK FRUITCAKE
This is my mother's very old recipe, at least 60 years old. My mother baked this for my wedding, and it sure is delicious and also a great Christmas cake. This is a very long recipe, but well worth the trouble. You can substitute a cup of drained maraschino cherries for the candied cherries, if you like.
Provided by Carol
Number Of Ingredients 24
- Wash and dry the raisins and the currants. Wash, dry, pit, and chop the dates. Chop the raisins and the citrus peel. Slice the cherries. Blanch the almonds, and slice them lengthwise. Combine fruits and nuts in large bowl.
- Grease and line 3 standard Christmas cake pans (these round pans are at least 3 inches deep and come in a set of three sizes- 5, 7, and 9 inch across) with 4 layers of heavy waxed paper, or 3 layers of brown paper. Grease again. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices onto a piece of waxed paper. Remove 1 cup of this flour mixture, and combine with fruit and nuts. Mix until fruit is well coated.
- Cream the butter until fluffy. Add extracts. Gradually add sugar, mixing until creamy. Beat egg yolks until light and lemon-colored, and beat into the butter mixture. Stir in the molasses, and beat together well. Add half of the remaining flour mixture, and blend thoroughly.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold into batter. Stir in lightly the remaining flour mixture alternately with grape juice and coffee. Add floured fruit and nuts, blending in until fruit is well distributed.
- Turn batter into prepared cake tins, filling each about 2/3 full and spreading batter evenly. Bake in center of oven. Bake small cake 2 1/2 hours, medium cake 3 1/2 hours, and large cake 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and allow to stand 5 minutes, then turn out on wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 451.3 calories, Carbohydrate 79.6 g, Cholesterol 85.9 mg, Fat 14.5 g, Fiber 4.1 g, Protein 6.2 g, SaturatedFat 6.7 g, Sodium 176.8 mg, Sugar 39.7 g
RICH DARK FRUITCAKE 1970
This looks long but is simple...it's the best tasting fruitcake I have ever had and made. It originally came from Edith Adam's Homemakers Magazine in 1970.
Provided by andypandy
Yield 4 cakes
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Baking times and pan sizes-- 4 x 4 pan takes 1 1/2 hours 6 x 6 pan takes 3 hours 8 x 8 pan takes 4 1/2 hours Preheat oven 275 degrees F.
- Line cake pan set plus one extra with three layers brown greased paper.
- Grease sides next to the batter.
- Place a small dish of water in bottom of oven for steam and moisture.
- Test by touching finger in centre of cake, if no dent press harder.
- Cake should be firm to touch or slightly springy.
- Method: Prepare almonds, soak overnight in the orange juice.
- Prepare fruit, and soak overnight in the grape juice, sprinkle a little flour over the fruit.
- Next Day-- cream butter at room temperature but not too soft.
- Add white sugar gradually creaming until no grains are felt between fingertips.
- Beat in the beaten egg yolks.
- Blend well.
- ALL STEPS MUST BE FOLLOWED AS GIVEN TO PREVENT BUTTER FROM OOZING OUT DURING BAKING.
- Stir in the grape jelly and the melted cooled chocolate.
- Blend in the flour, and baking powder.
- Add the fruits in small amounts at a time, mixing well.
- Add almonds, and pecans.
- Fold in lastly the stiff beaten egg whites-- Pour into prepared pans and bake.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 5681.6, Fat 223.4, SaturatedFat 74.8, Cholesterol 742, Sodium 1504.3, Carbohydrate 924.1, Fiber 45.5, Sugar 695.7, Protein 71.6
THE FANNY FARMER DARK FRUITCAKE
This famous fruitcake recipe by Fanny Farmer goes back years, I made it recently using the brandied fruit cake option as stated on the bottom of the recipe and I strongly recommend to use that method as the brandy will strongly intensify the flavor and preserve the cake, this fruit cake is wonderful and I plan on making it again.
Provided by Kittencalrecipezazz
Yield 2 (9x5-in) loaves
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Set oven to 325 degrees F.
- Butter two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
- Line the pans with foil, then butter the foil.
- Cream the butter or shortening.
- Add in brown sugar; beat until light.
- Add in lemon extract and eggs and beat well.
- Stir in molasses and blend to combine.
- In a small bowl combine the flour with baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, mace, cloves and salt; beat into the creamed mixture until combined.
- Add in milk; beat until combined.
- Stir in the candied fruit, candied cherries, candied citron, dates or raisins and nuts; mix well.
- Transfer/divide the batter between the two pans.
- Bake for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until the loaves test done.
- Turn out onto racks to cool.
- When completely cooled wrap well and store in an airtight container.
- BRANDIED FRUIT CAKE OPTION; soak two large pieces of cheesecloth in brandy.
- Wrap each fruit cake in the cheesecloth covering all sides, then wrap well in foil.
- Moisten the cheesecloth with additional brandy every few days for about a week.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 2231.1, Fat 94.1, SaturatedFat 35.8, Cholesterol 316.6, Sodium 1469.7, Carbohydrate 334, Fiber 15.5, Sugar 202.8, Protein 28.7
People also searched
More about "nans best dark fruitcake food"
BEST CLASSIC FRUITCAKE RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK CANADA
THE 7 BEST FRUITCAKES TO ORDER ONLINE IN 2023 - THE …
FRUITCAKE RECIPE WITH MOLASSES RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS …
FRUIT CAKE RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
NAN'S BEST DAK FRUITCAKE CALORIES, CARBS & NUTRITION FACTS ...
CLASSIC DARK FRUITCAKE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
RECIPE(TRIED): NAN'S BEST DARK FRUIT CAKE - EASY RECIPES
NAN'S BEST DARK FRUITCAKE: RECIPE - FOOD.COM | RECIPE | FRUIT CAKE ...
THE WORLD'S BEST FRUITCAKE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
NAN'S BEST DARK FRUITCAKE: RECIPE - FOOD.COM | RECIPE
NANS BEST DARK FRUITCAKE RECIPES RECIPE
NAN'S BEST DARK FRUITCAKE: - PLAIN.RECIPES
You'll also love