"OFF THE BOAT" SICILIAN PASTA SAUCE
This recipe has been in my family since it was first made in a small town north of Palermo, Sicily. I am exposing this family recipe because i know it will help some people be able to continue their love for pasta and still be able to stay on their diet.
Provided by mama_mia
Yield 3-4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Chop your 1/2 medium onion.
- Take a medium size pot and simmer together your chopped onions and oil over medium heat until onions are tender.
- Pour in your tomato sauce and stir well.
- let your sauce come to a boil for at least a half an hour.
- ****(Please stir frequently or your sauce will stick to the bottom of the pot and eventually burn.).
- reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in your desired amount of salt and pepper.
- cook for an additional half an hour.
- After at least an hour of cooking, bring a pot of water to a boil for your pasta.
- Let the sauce cook until pasta is drained and ready.
- Scoop some sauce into your drained pasta to coat.
- Serve with a scoop of pasta sauce ontop and enjoy!
- *You can add anything to this base pasta sauce -- we Italians sometimes will throw in cooked tender cauliflower for one dish or asparagas, or drained/fried ground beef for pasta bolognese, etc.you get the idea.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 148.5, Fat 5.2, SaturatedFat 0.7, Sodium 1597.8, Carbohydrate 25.2, Fiber 4.9, Sugar 14.1, Protein 4.3
SICILIAN EASY PASTA SAUCE
This is how my mother taught me to make sauce, with a few of my own touches. It's a little unusual in that all the tomato comes from canned products, but it makes it easy to whip some up. This is a large quantity because I always make enough to freeze. You can make it with any number of meats or without if you prefer. Use the best tomato products you can afford (Campbell's, Contadina). You don't need any salt since the canned products tends to have plenty. I use the low sodium versions when I can find them. To freeze, put cooled sauce in old plastic tubs from whipped cream. When you want to use one, just dip the container in hot water and the sauce will pop out into a saucepan. Heat on low. It will take about the same time to warm up as it does to boil your pasta.
Provided by JoAnimal
Yield 13 pints, 50 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat olive oil in bottom of large sauce pot.
- Add onion and cook until they are translucent.
- Reduce heat and add garlic (careful as it burns easily).
- Add tomato juice, soup, paste, strained tomatoes, pepper, basil and sugar.
- Add baking soda carefully. It will foam up, be prepared to stir to dissipate the foam.
- Simmer on low heat.
- Brown meat in separate pan. Add to sauce when browned.
- Simmer sauce about 2 hours.
- Serve over good quality pasta. Some say it needs to rest overnight in the fridge, but who has the patience for that?
SICILIAN SPAGHETTI SAUCE
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. , Stir in the tomatoes, raisins, wine, tomato paste, sugar, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through. , Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Stir parsley and pine nuts into meat sauce. Drain spaghetti; top with sauce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 459 calories, Fat 7g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 28mg cholesterol, Sodium 1137mg sodium, Carbohydrate 74g carbohydrate (25g sugars, Fiber 5g fiber), Protein 21g protein.
QUICK EASY SICILIAN PASTA SAUCE
My family is Sicilian. Old world style cooking is so simple but with amazing results. The flavors this recipe has will amaze you. Nothing beats fresh ingredients.
Provided by Simply Shirley
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Peel Tomatoes, place in a roasting pan. Drizzle with oil, season with salt, pepper and sugar. Throw in oven at 450 degrees for 5-6 minutes or place on roasting pan and cook on grill.
- Dice garlic small and roast in frying pan.
- Chop Fresh Basil.
- Once Tomatoes are roasted they need to be blended. You can use a good old fashioned blender or food processor. Try not to over blend. Tomato sauce should be liquid but not blended until foamy.
- Add blended tomatoes to the pan of roasted garlic, bring to a simmer. Add chopped basil, stir.
- Add sugar and/or salt to taste. Serve over angel hair pasta or whichever kind you like.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 79, Fat 3.8, SaturatedFat 0.5, Sodium 591.1, Carbohydrate 11.2, Fiber 2.3, Sugar 8, Protein 1.8
SICILIAN PASTA SAUCE
My grandmother is Sicilian, so naturally this sauce was passed down from each generation to all the girls. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as my family does.
Provided by stephakneeluvstocook
Yield 3-4 cups, 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat oil and crushed pepper in sauce pan,add onion and garlic. Saute until translucent. Deglaze with wine, add tomatoes cushed and paste. Bring to simmer, continue to simmer for 45 minutes up to 4 hours. Add herbs, sugar, and season if needed.
- Toss with favorite pasta. Serve with grated parmesan romano and a glass of wine.
- Can also add meat/ sausage/ ribs before deglazing with wine. Or mix in a cup of ricotta and grated mozzerella and bake in 400 degree oven until bubbling and golden.
More about "off the boat sicilian pasta sauce food"
PASTA - SICILIAN FOOD CULTURE
ONION AND TOMATO SAUCE RECIPES - SUPERCOOK
SICILIAN PASTA SALMON SAUCE FOOD - HOMEANDRECIPE.COM
12 SICILIAN PASTA RECIPES FOR YOUR TABLE. – THE PASTA PROJECT
10 MOST POPULAR SICILIAN PASTA DISHES - TASTEATLAS
6 MOST POPULAR SICILIAN SAUCES - TASTEATLAS
NUTRITIONAL FACTS: - FOOD.COM
"OFF THE BOAT" SICILIAN PASTA SAUCE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
“OFF THE BOAT” SICILIAN PASTA SAUCE - CHAMPSDIET.COM
OFF THE BOAT SICILIAN PASTA SAUCE RECIPES - HOMEANDRECIPE.COM
You'll also love