OPEN-FACED FRESH BLUEBERRY PIE
Quick and easy Open-Faced Fresh Blueberry Pie recipe, one cup of berries is cooked to form a syrup. The remaining three cups of berries are heated in this syrup just enough to turn the blueberries a midnight blue with overtones of purple. The filling is then spooned into a prebaked crust.
Provided by Rose Levy Beranbaum
Yield Serves 6
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Make the crust:
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. If necessary, allow it to sit for about 10 minutes or until it is soft enough to roll.
- Using a pastry cloth and sleeve rubbed with flour or two sheets of plastic wrap lightly sprinkled with flour, roll the dough 1/8 inch thick or less and large enough to cut a 13-inch circle. Use an expandable flan ring or a cardboard template and a sharp knife as a guide to cut out the circle. Transfer the dough to the pie pan, fold under the excess, and crimp the border using a fork or your fingers. Cover it loosely and refrigerate it for a minimum of 1 hour and a maximum of 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F at least 20 minutes before baking.
- Line the pastry with parchment, pleating it as necessary so it fits into the pan, and fill it with rice or dried beans. Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully lift out the rice or beans with the parchment. With a fork, prick the bottom and sides, and bake 5-10 minutes, or until the crust is pale golden. Check after 3 minutes and prick any bubbles that may have formed.
- Cool the crust on a rack for 3 minutes, so it is no longer piping hot, then brush the bottom and sides with the egg white.
- Make the filling:
- Measure out 1 cup of the blueberries, choosing he softest ones. Place them in a medium saucepan together with the 1/2 cup water. Cover and bring them to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and the remaining 2 tablespoons of water. Set it aside.
- When the water and blueberries have come to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, stirring constantly for 3 to 4 minutes or until the blueberries start to burst and the juices begin to thicken. Stirring constantly, add the cornstarch mixture, the sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Simmer for a minute or until the mixture becomes translucent. Immediately remove it from the heat and quickly fold in the remaining 3 cups of blueberries.
- Spoon the mixture into the baked pie shell and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 2 hours before serving. When set, the berries will remain very juicy but will not flow out of the crust.
- Just before serving, if desired, pipe or spread the whipped cream around the sides of the pie, leaving the center unadorned and brilliantly glistening.
- Room temperature, up to 2 days (without the whipped cream).
CONTEST-WINNING FRESH BLUEBERRY PIE
I've been making this blueberry pie recipe for decades since the ingredients for the filling are readily available in Michigan. Nothing says summer like a piece of fresh blueberry pie! -Linda Kernan, Mason, Michigan
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6-8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a floured surface, roll dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Trim and flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Line crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights. Bake on a lower oven rack until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes. Cool on a wire rack., In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and water until smooth. Add 3 cups blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly., Remove from the heat. Add butter, lemon juice and remaining berries; stir until butter is melted. Cool. Pour into crust. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 269 calories, Fat 9g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 9mg cholesterol, Sodium 150mg sodium, Carbohydrate 48g carbohydrate (29g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 2g protein.
OPEN FACE BLUEBERRY PIE
I got this recipe from a newspaper cookbook. A very easy way to get your fix when you are craving blueberry pie.
Provided by CookingONTheSide
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Stir together over medium high heat the water, sugar and cornstarch.
- Add 1 cup blueberries.
- Cook until thick.
- Add 2 more cups of blueberries.
- Cool and put in baked pie shell.
- Top with Cool Whip, if desired, when serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 252.9, Fat 7.7, SaturatedFat 1.9, Sodium 118.3, Carbohydrate 45.9, Fiber 2.2, Sugar 30.4, Protein 1.8
People also searched
More about "open faced fresh blueberry pie food"
ROSE LEVY BERANBAUM'S FRESH OPEN-FACED BLUEBERRY …
Reviews 41Servings 6Cuisine AmericanCategory Dessert
- Divide the butter into two parts, about two thirds to one third -- 2.5 ounces and 1.5 ounces (5 tablespoons and 3 tablespoons). Cut the butter into 3/4-inch cubes. Wrap each portion of butter with plastic wrap, refrigerate the larger amount and freeze the smaller for at least 30 minutes. Place the flour, salt, and baking powder in a reclosable gallon-size freezer bag and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- For the crust Remove the dough from the refrigerator. If necessary, allow it to sit for about 10 minutes or until it is soft enough to roll.
OPEN FACE BLUEBERRY PIE: FRESH AND EASIEST PIE EVER - 31 …
4.2/5 (12)Total Time 2 hrs 15 minsCategory DessertCalories 169 per serving
OPEN FACE BLUEBERRY PIE | LOVE & FOOD FOREVA
OPEN-FACED FRESH BLUEBERRY PIE RECIPE
OPEN-FACED FRESH BLUEBERRY PIE | RECIPE | FRESH BLUEBERRY PIE ...
OPEN-FACE FRESH BLUEBERRY PIE | BLUEBERRY PIE, FRESH BLUEBERRY PIE ...
OPEN FACE BLUEBERRY PIE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
TOP 44 OPEN FACED FRESH BLUEBERRY PIE RECIPES
OPEN TOP BLUEBERRY PIE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
TOP 41 OPEN BLUEBERRY PIE RECIPES - ISTIMEWA.DIXIESEWING.COM
OPEN BLUEBERRY PIE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
OPEN FACED FRESH BLUEBERRY PIE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
RECIPE: OPEN-FACED FRESH BLUEBERRY PIE - EASY RECIPES
OPEN FACED BLUEBERRY PIE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
EASY 5-INGREDIENT OPEN FACED BLUEBERRY PIE | BLUEBERRY …
FRESH BLUEBERRY PIE RECIPE | THE OLD FARMER'S ALMANAC
OPEN FACED BLUEBERRY PIE – FLOURIST
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make blueberry pie crust?Directions Brush the bottom and sides of the crust with the egg white. Measure out 1 cup of the blueberries, choosing the softest ones. Place them in a medium saucepan together with the 1/2 cup water. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and the remaining 2 tablespoons of water. Set it aside.
Is there such a thing as open face blueberry pie?It isn't summer until there's been a blueberry pie on the table, or picnic table. And this easiest ever Open Face Blueberry Pie is simply rustic and summer perfect. Different than a traditional blueberry pie, yet incredibly juicy and delicious.
Can you use frozen blueberries for pie?Blueberries are one of the best berries to use frozen in a pie because they have thick skins and retain their moisture and juiciness without becoming mushy. If you have extra frozen blueberries left over, use them up in this frozen blueberry muffin recipe. Why is my blueberry pie runny? There are a few reasons why your blueberry pie is runny.
How to cook blueberries in the oven?Bake on a lower oven rack until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and water until smooth. Add 3 cups blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.