PIEROGI (TRADITIONAL POLISH DUMPLINGS)
This authentic Polish pierogi recipe is from my grandmother and has been handed down in our family for generations. The pierogi are filled with cheese, potatoes, and mushrooms but you can use the dough recipe and stuff them with other fillings to your liking. There are many ways to serve pierogi - either topped with fried onions and parsley or serve them with sour cream, melted butter, and fried pieces of bacon.
Provided by Magda
Categories Main Dish Recipes Dumpling Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Pass farmer's cheese and cooked potatoes separately through a food grinder or food processor.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook mushrooms and onions until soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine farmer's cheese, potatoes, mushroom mixture, sour cream, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix together and set filling aside.
- Place flour on a clean work surface and make a well in the center. Crack both eggs into the well. Add butter and a few tablespoons of the warm water. Mix with your hands, gradually adding more warm water, 1 tablespoon at a time, as you go. Knead well, continuing to add more water as needed. Knead until dough is soft and smooth, adding more flour to the work surface as needed.
- Cut off 1/4 of the dough and roll out to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut out circles using a glass or a round pastry cutter, saving the excess dough for your next batch.
- Fill each dough circle with 1 teaspoon of filling. Fold dough over into a half-moon shape and pinch edges together to seal. Cover with a clean dish towel so pierogi won't dry out and repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a gentle boil. Add the pierogi in batches, about 20 at a time, and cook until they float to the surface, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain in a strainer. Repeat with the remaining pierogi.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 75.8 calories, Carbohydrate 11.3 g, Cholesterol 9.2 mg, Fat 2.2 g, Fiber 0.6 g, Protein 2.5 g, SaturatedFat 1.1 g, Sodium 13.8 mg, Sugar 0.5 g
PEROGIES WITH VARIOUS TRADITIONAL FILLINGS
What can I say, I love these little babies and they love me back, so I only do this twice a year and "ration" them out! I make double to triple the amounts and freeze for later use. To serve boil, drain and then fry in butter with a lot of onions and serve with a dollop of sour cream!
Provided by Diana Adcock
Yield 50 Perogies
Number Of Ingredients 17
- note***The dough recipe is for around 50 perogies.
- At least 1 batch for each filling.
- I make a day of this and triple each recipe.
- Believe me, they don't last long!
- For the dough: Mix egg, oil and water.
- Add to flour and salt and knead to elastic.
- Flour your counter top and rolling pin.
- Roll the dough to around 1/4 inch thick and cut into small circles.
- Stretch with fingers and add 1 t. filling, fold over and flute.
- Boil until perogies float.
- Cool before freezing.
- Cottage cheese and Dill filling: In a large bowl mix all ingredients together well and fill perogies.
- Sauerkraut and Bacon: In a large bowl mix together all ingredients well. Bacon fat will cling to the kraut. Fill perogie dough.
- Potato and Cheese: In a large bowl mix well the potato, cheese, salt and mix well. Fill Perogie dough.
- You will need about 1 and 1/2 recipes for the dough for each batch of filling, depending on how thick or thin you roll your dough.
PIEROGIES WITH POTATO AND CHEESE FILLING
- Mix flour, water, and egg and salt together. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Cover dough with bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Boil potatoes until soft. Drain and rinse. Add cheese. Let stand a few minutes until cheese melts. Then fold potatoes and cheese together.
- Roll out dough about 1/8-inch thick. Cut into 3-inch squares. Fill each square of dough with one teaspoon of potato and cheese filling. Fold in half and pinch ends together to seal. Drop in hot boiling water and simmer for 8 minutes. Drain and fry in butter a few minutes until heated through. Chopped onions may be added to the butter, if desired. Salt and pepper, to taste.
People also searched
More about "perogies with 3 different fillings food"
PIEROGI FILLING IDEAS (15+ PIEROGI FILLINGS YOU NEED TO TRY!)
Reviews 35Published Jan 13, 2021Estimated Reading Time 8 mins
- Pierogi ruskie (potato and cheese pierogi) I will start with the most popular pierogi in Poland (at least in the region where I come from) and my personal favorite pierogi – pierogi ruskie.
- Potato and cheddar filling. This is an Americanized recipe for traditional polish potato and cheese pierogi, where you add cheddar cheese in place of polish twaróg cheese which is not easily available outside of Poland.
- Potato filling. This filling seems to be very popular abroad but it’s not really in Poland. You can make it with mashed potatoes and sauteed onion, season generously with salt and pepper.
- Sauerkraut and mushroom filling (pierogi z kapustą i grzybami) This is my second favorite pierogi type! The recipe features cooked sauerkraut, sauteed onions and mushrooms (wild mushrooms and cremini mushrooms).
- Sweet cheese filling. My third favorite pierogi! The filling is made with Polish twaróg cheese (farmer’s cheese), sugar, and egg yolks. Yum! Here’s the recipe: sweet cheese pierogi.
- Sauerkraut filling (pierogi z kapustą kiszoną) Pierogi can be also filled with just sauerkraut, without the mushrooms. I don’t have that recipe yet but it will be surely posted in the future!
- Wild mushroom filling (pierogi z grzybami) This filling is usually used to stuff uszka – little pierogi that are served with Christmas Eve Borscht soup (Barszcz czerwony/Barszcz wigilijny).
- Meat pierogi (pierogi z mięsem) Meat filling is usually made from the meat leftover from rosół soup (meat broth). The meat is then put through a meat grinder and combined with sauteed onions, and sometimes mushrooms.
- Dessert pierogi (fruit pierogi) Sweet pierogi are filled with fruits. Any type of summer fruit can be used. The most popular fruit pierogi are blueberry pierogi, strawberry pierogi, and sweet cherry pierogi.
- Vegan pierogi with sun-dried tomato and lentil filling. This is not a traditional filling, but quite popular in Poland nowadays. The filling is made with sauteed onions with spices, red lentils and sun-dried tomatoes.
THE BEST PIEROGI DOUGH RECIPE + HOW TO MAKE PERFECT PIEROGI
HOW TO MAKE PEROGIES- TRADITIONAL UKRAINIAN PEROGI …
BASIC POLISH PIEROGI DOUGH WITH THREE FILLINGS - CURIOUS CUISINIERE
4.5/5 (75)Category Dinner Recipes
PEROGIES WITH 3 DIFFERENT FILLINGS RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (2)Category PorkServings 90Calories 101 per serving
MY GRANDMA'S HOMEMADE PIEROGI - SPEND WITH PENNIES
THE PEROGIE RECIPE 85 YEARS IN THE MAKING - FOOD NETWORK CANADA
PIEROGI - A FAMILY FEAST®
PEROGIE RECIPES THAT ARE PURE COMFORT - FOOD NETWORK CANADA
THE BEST HOMEMADE PIEROGI RECIPE | THE RECIPE CRITIC
PIEROGI FILLINGS TO MAKE AT HOME [13 IDEAS!] | POLONIST
EASY HOMEMADE PIEROGIES - THE LITTLE FERRARO KITCHEN
HOMEMADE PIEROGI RECIPE | KING ARTHUR BAKING
PEROGIES WITH 3 DIFFERENT FILLINGS | NATURALLY SAVVY
TOP PIEROGI RECIPES AND IDEAS | FOOD NETWORK
22 PIEROGIES THAT ARE STUFFED WITH HOPES AND DREAMS - BUZZFEED
AUTHENTIC POLISH PIEROGI RECIPE - ANNA IN THE KITCHEN
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
#bacon #15-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #main-dish #side-dishes #eggs-dairy #pork #potatoes #vegetables #european #russian #polish #cheese #freezer #stove-top #dietary #mushrooms #meat #equipment #number-of-servings
You'll also love