BRAISED SHORT RIBS
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place flour in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Toss ribs in flour mixture until well coated; shake off excess.
- In a 5- to 8-quart Dutch oven or heavy ovenproof pot, heat oil over medium-high. Cook ribs in two batches, turning until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes per batch; transfer to a plate.
- Add carrots and onions to pot. Cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits, until vegetables are lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add wine, broth, thyme, and tomatoes (breaking them up). Arrange ribs in pot; bring liquid to a boil. Cover, transfer to oven, and cook 1 hour. Reduce heat to 350 degrees; cook until fork-tender (but not falling apart), about 1 hour more.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer ribs to a plate. Moisten with cooking liquid; cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Strain remaining liquid through a fine-mesh sieve (discard solids); return to pot. Bring to a boil; cook until sauce is slightly thickened and reduced to about 2 cups, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve ribs with sauce. (Or return to pot, let cool slightly, cover, and refrigerator up to 1 day.)
BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS
After not being able to find a recipe for beef short ribs on the internet, I thought I might share this one that I came across many years ago. I have received raves about my short ribs every time I have served them. Try them, I'm sure you will agree! Enjoy!
Provided by Jim Stearns
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a bowl, combine the 1/2 cup flour, salt and ground black pepper. Roll the ribs in the seasoned flour.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil and brown the ribs well on all sides. Pour in 1 cup boiling water, tomatoes, and garlic. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, adding more water if necessary.
- Place the potatoes, onions, and carrots in the pot. Continue to simmer for another 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until all vegetables are tender. Remove the meat and vegetables to a serving platter.
- In a separate small bowl, dissolve 1 1/2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons water for every one cup liquid remaining in the pot. Add this to the pot and stir well until thickened. Pour over meat and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 889.3 calories, Carbohydrate 36.3 g, Cholesterol 137.9 mg, Fat 68.8 g, Fiber 4.9 g, Protein 30.4 g, SaturatedFat 29 g, Sodium 645.7 mg, Sugar 5.1 g
BRAISED BONELESS SHORT RIBS
From Cook's Illustrated magazine, Feb 09. Use a bold red wine like a Cabernet Sauvignon or Cotes du Rhone. Serve with egg noodles, mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes.
Provided by DrGaellon
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Place oven rack in upper-middle position and preheat to 300°F Pat beef dry with paper towels. Stir together salt and pepper and sprinkle over beef. Heat 1 tbsp oil in Dutch oven until smoking. Add half of beef and cook without moving, 4-6 minutes, until well browned. Turn beef over and cook second side until well browned, another 4-6 minutes. If fat begins to smoke, reduce heat. Transfer beef to medium bowl. Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onion, and cook, stirring often, until softened and barely browned, 12-15 minutes. (If onions darken too quickly, add 1-2 tbsp water to pan.).
- Add tomato paste and stir constantly until it browns on sides and bottom of pan, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook unitl fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Turn heat up to medium-high, add wine, and simmer, scraping up fond from sides and bottom. Simmer until reduced by half, 8-10 minutes. Add beef broth, carrots, thyme, and bay leaf. Add beef and any juices in the bowl. Cover and bring to a simmer. Transfer to oven and cook 2 to 2½ hours, turning meat twice with tongs during cooking. When done, a fork will slip easily in and out of meat.
- Place water in a small bowl and sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer meat and carrots to serving platter; tent with foil. Strain cooking liquid through a fine strainer into a fat separator. Press on solids to extract as much liquid as possible, then discard solids. Allow to settle, then strain off fat. Return liquid to Dutch oven and reduce to 1 cup over medium heat, 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in bloomed gelatin; season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over meat and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 905.1, Fat 75.6, SaturatedFat 31.8, Cholesterol 150.8, Sodium 692.1, Carbohydrate 13.8, Fiber 2.6, Sugar 5.7, Protein 30.6
BRAISED SHORT RIBS
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Salt and pepper the ribs, then dredge them in the flour. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until completely crispy and all the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon and set aside. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add the olive oil to the pan with the bacon fat and raise the heat to high. Brown the ribs on all sides, about 45 seconds per side. Remove the ribs and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium. Add the carrots, shallots and onions to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Splash in the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to release all the flavorful bits of glory. Add the broth, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper and bring to a boil. Taste and add more salt if needed. Add the ribs to the liquid; they should be almost completely submerged. Add the thyme and rosemary sprigs (whole) to the liquid. Finally, add the cooked bacon.
- Put on a lid and transfer to the oven. Cook until the ribs are fork-tender and falling off the bone, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes with the lid on before serving. At the last minute, skim the fat off the top of the liquid. (You can also refrigerate the mixture, then remove the solid fat from the top.)
- For each serving, arrange 2 ribs on a bed of the grits, spooning a little juice over the top.
- Cook the grits according to the package instructions, adding the salt with the water. Turn off the heat just before the grits are done.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs. To temper the eggs before adding them to the hot grits, throw a couple of spoonfuls of the hot grits into the eggs. Begin stirring immediately and continue stirring until the mixture is well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the grits. Stir constantly to incorporate the eggs into the grits. Add the butter and stir until melted. Next, add the cheese and stir until melted. Add the cayenne and garlic and stir well to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more salt or cayenne if necessary. You could also add more cheese if you think that will bring happiness to your life, but keep in mind that some cheeses increase the salt content more than others.
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and pour the grits into the dish. Bake until the grits are hot and bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. The grits will become firmer as they cool.
BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a roasting pan over high heat with the oil. Sprinkle the ribs with salt and pepper. Add the ribs to the pan, then reduce the heat to medium. Sear on both the top and bottom of the meat, 2 to 3 minutes per side, reserving the pan drippings. After searing the ribs, add the stock, mirepoix, tomato paste, merlot, garlic and the reserved pan drippings to the pan. Tightly cover and cook in the oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove the pan from the oven and check the ribs, which should be fork tender. If need be, continue cooking to achieve desired tenderness. Next remove the ribs and reserve the liquid to create sauce.
- Pour the reserved cooking liquid through a strainer, then discard the remaining vegetables. In a saucepan, blend the herbs and liquid over medium-high heat. Reduce the liquid by three-quarters, yielding 3 cups of sauce. Pass the reduced sauce through a strainer, then set aside and keep warm.
- For the potatoes: In a large pot, bring 1 gallon of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until softened, 15 to 18 minutes, then drain. Pass the potatoes and butter through a food mill or ricer into a bowl. Next add the salt and pepper, and then blend with a whisk. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- To serve, place the mashed potatoes in the center of the plate, top with a short rib, and finish with the warm sauce. Repeat for the remaining short ribs.
STOUT-BRAISED SHORT RIBS WITH HORSERADISH & CARROTS
Cook these stout-braised ribs low and slow to get lovely, tender meat. It's easy to portion, plus it looks great on the plate - perfect for a family feast
Provided by Tom Kerridge
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 2. Heat the oil in a casserole dish and brown the short ribs well on all sides - this will take about 10 mins. Remove the ribs to a plate, then fry the onion and celery in the dish for 5 mins. Stir in the herbs and flour, and cook for a few minutes, then stir in the sugar, stout and stock, and bring to a simmer. Add the horseradish cream and some seasoning, then nestle the ribs into the sauce. Cover the pan and cook in the oven for 1 hr.
- Peel the carrots, keeping them whole. Remove the stew from the oven, stir gently and add the carrots. Cover and return to the oven for 2 hrs more until the ribs are tender. You can now serve the stew in a rustic style, as is. Alternatively, gently remove the ribs and carrots to a board. Strain the sauce through a sieve into a saucepan and bring to the boil, skimming off any froth that rises to the surface. Simmer for 5 mins until reduced by a third. Tip the reduced sauce back into the casserole dish, add back the ribs and carrots, and simmer for a few minutes to reheat the meat. Divide between plates and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 611 calories, Fat 36 grams fat, SaturatedFat 9 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 29 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 23 grams sugar, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 35 grams protein, Sodium 0.7 milligram of sodium
SAVORY BRAISED SHORT RIBS
This is hearty comfort food. Serve with mashed potatoes, a veggie and good bread for sopping up the sauce. YUM!
Provided by Dreamgoddess
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Brown short ribs well on all sides (about 30 minutes) in Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add broth, onion, 1 c water, peppercorns, worchstershire sauce, garlic, bay leaf and marjoram.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and cook slowly 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, prepare Horseradish Sauce.
- Place short ribs on serving platter and keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid.
- Combine flour with 1 /2 cup water, mixing until smooth; combine with cooking liquid, bring to a boil, stirring constantly, reduce heat and cook slowly 3 minutes.
- Strain, if necessary, and serve with short ribs.
- Garnish platter with tomato wedges and parsley.
- Serve Horseradish sauce with short ribs.
- HORSERADISH SAUCE.
- 1/4 Cup Dairy Sour Cream 1 T Prepared Mustard 2 1/2 T Prepared Horseradish 1/8 t Salt Combine sour cream, horseradish, mustard and salt in small bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate.
THE BEST BRAISED SHORT RIBS
My DH is an excellent home chef and prefers cooking meat. He has tried many recipes for short ribs and did not love the results until now. This recipe came from Anne Burell, she's a Food Network star with a show on Saturday mornings. Her show is our favorite! And, wow, these short ribs...OMG! We served them with pasta and roasted brussel sprouts but next time I will do mashed potatoes.
Provided by Penny Stettinius
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Season each short rib generously with salt. Coat a pot large enough to accommodate all the meat and vegetables with olive oil and bring to a high heat.
- Add the short ribs to the pan and brown very well, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Do not overcrowd pan. Cook in batches, if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- While the short ribs are browning, puree all the vegetables and garlic in the food processor until it forms a coarse paste.
- When the short ribs are very brown on all sides, remove them from the pan.
- Drain the fat, coat the bottom of same pan with fresh oil and add the pureed vegetables. Season the vegetables generously with salt and brown until they are very dark and a crud has formed on the bottom of the pan, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Scrape the crud and let it reform.
- Scrape the crud again and add the tomato paste.
- Brown the tomato paste for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan. Lower the heat if things start to burn.
- Reduce the mixture by half.
- Return the short ribs to the pan and add 2 cups water or until the water has just about covered the meat.
- Add the thyme bundle and bay leaves.
- Cover the pan and place in the preheated oven for 3 hours.
- Check periodically during the cooking process and add more water, if needed.
- Turn the ribs over halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove the lid during the last 20 minutes of cooking to let things get nice and brown and to let the sauce reduce.
- When done the meat should be very tender but not falling apart.
- Serve with the braising liquid.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 107, Fat 0.3, SaturatedFat 0.1, Sodium 410.8, Carbohydrate 14.7, Fiber 3.1, Sugar 8, Protein 2.6
People also searched
More about "recipe for braised short ribs food"
BRAISED SHORT RIBS RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
4/5 Total Time 11 hrs
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Add them to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned and crusty, about 18 minutes. Transfer the ribs to a shallow baking dish in a single layer.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the skillet and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Add the wine and thyme sprigs and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour the hot marinade over the ribs and let cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning the ribs once.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Transfer the ribs and marinade to a large, enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook in the lower third of the oven for 1 1/2 hours, until the meat is tender but not falling apart. Uncover and braise for 45 minutes longer, turning the ribs once or twice, until the sauce is reduced by about half and the meat is very tender.
- Transfer the meat to a clean shallow baking dish, discarding the bones as they fall off. Strain the sauce into a heatproof measuring cup and skim off as much fat as possible. Pour the sauce over the meat; there should be about 2 cups.
BRAISED SHORT RIBS RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
Author Wolfgang PuckSteps 7Difficulty Intermediate
BRAISED SHORT RIBS RECIPE | JEFF MAURO | FOOD NETWORK
Author Jeff MauroSteps 5Difficulty Easy
BRAISED SHORT RIBS RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE BEEF SHORT RIBS
BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS RECIPE - FOOD REPUBLIC
BRAISED SHORT RIBS RECIPE - FOOD.COM
- Season ribs with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Dredge lightly in flour. In a heavy oven-proof pan, such as a cast iron dutch oven, heat oil over medium/high. Add ribs in batches and cook just until brown on all sides, but not until cooked through.
- Remove ribs to plate or bowl as they get browned. Once all ribs are browned, turn off heat and return ribs to pan. Top with onions, carrots, garlic, tomatoes and then pour on broth. Cover.
- Place in oven to complete cooking, anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hour depending on the size of the meat. Leave in oven until done completely and very tender.
BRAISED SHORT RIBS : R/ALLDELICIOUSRECIPES - REDDIT.COM
INSTANT POT BONELESS SHORT RIBS (RED WINE BRAISED)
BEST BRAISED SHORT RIBS RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
BRAISED SHORT RIBS RECIPE - FOOD.COM
GALBI JIM RECIPES : TOP PICKED FROM OUR EXPERTS
BEST SIMPLE BRAISED SHORT RIBS RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK …
HOW TO BRAISE BEEF SHORT RIBS - FOOD WISHES - YOUTUBE
BALSAMIC BRAISED SHORT RIBS – BARE BONES
BALSAMIC BRAISED SHORT RIBS – BALANCED BITES WHOLESOME FOODS
BEER BRAISED SHORT RIBS - CTV
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook beef short ribs in a pan?Watch how to make this recipe. Season each short rib generously with salt. Coat a pot large enough to accommodate all the meat and vegetables with olive oil and bring to a high heat. Add the short ribs to the pan and brown very well, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Do not overcrowd pan. Cook in batches, if necessary.
What is the best way to serve braised short ribs?This recipe for delicious braised short ribs is from the October 2007 issue of Everyday Food. To make this dish a complete meal, serve it with creamy polenta with thyme. Martha and Betsy Karetnick show you how to warm up a cool fall night with meltingly tender braised short ribs and creamy polenta. Read the full recipe after the video.
How to cook ribs in the oven?Directions 1 In a bowl, combine the 1/2 cup flour, salt and ground black pepper. Roll the ribs in the seasoned flour. ... 2 In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil and brown the ribs well on all sides. Pour in 1 cup boiling water, tomatoes, and garlic. ... 3 Place the potatoes, onions, and carrots in the pot. ... More items...
How to cook ribs in a crock pot?Coat a pot large enough to accommodate all the meat and vegetables with olive oil and bring to a high heat. Add the short ribs to the pan and brown very well, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Do not overcrowd pan. Cook in batches, if necessary. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.