Because it's very tart, rhubarb is always cooked with sugar (or other sweetener). It is often combined with red fruits, such as strawberries or raspberries, to enhance the color and complement the flavor.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes 4 cups
Number Of Ingredients 3
- Stir together rhubarb and sugar in a large saucepan (off heat); let stand until rhubarb releases some liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Bring rhubarb mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb has broken down but some whole pieces remain, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place ginger in a fine-mesh sieve set over a small bowl. Press down firmly with a spoon until juices are released (to yield about 1 teaspoon). Discard solids. Stir ginger juice into rhubarb mixture.
- Let sauce cool completely before serving over ice cream, yogurt, or pound cake, or using to make parfaits.
Simple is best. Two ingredients can produce a lovely dessert. Serve this compote on its own or with whipped cream or ice cream. You can also use it on pancakes, crepes, or toast.
Provided by Buckwheat Queen
Number Of Ingredients 2
- Place rhubarb pieces into a medium pot and sprinkle with sugar. Stir well to make sure rhubarb is completely covered with sugar. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes, stirring once, so natural juices will be released.
- Bring rhubarb mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Turn down heat and simmer until soft, about 10 minutes. Serve compote warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 57.3 calories, Carbohydrate 14.4 g, Fat 0.1 g, Fiber 0.8 g, Protein 0.4 g, Sodium 1.7 mg, Sugar 13 g
ROASTED RHUBARB COMPOTE
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Number Of Ingredients 0
- Cut 3 rhubarb stalks into 1/4-inch pieces. Transfer to a small baking dish and toss with 1/2 cup sugar and a pinch of salt. Roast at 350 degrees F until soft, about 25 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract. Serve over ice cream or pound cake.
One of my favourite ways to prepare rhubarb! I love this spooned over a dish of low-fat cottage cheese for breakfast or lunch. A simple, yet delicious compote.
Provided by Elly in Canada
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 4
- This is prepared in a double boiler. Put a few inches of water in the bottom part of the pot and bring to gentle boil.
- In top of double boiler over direct heat, bring sugar and water to boil. When the mixture is boiling, place the pot over the gently simmering water in bottom of double boiler.
- Add the chopped rhubarb and orange rind to the sugar water mixture, stir.
- Cover and cook, without stirring, for 15 to 20 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. The pieces will remain whole!
- Turn off heat; allow the rhubarb to cool in the pan over hot water. Discard orange rind.
- I like to serve this warm or cold, either way it is delicious!
- Serve as is or, just before serving, stir in 1 cup (250 mL) sliced strawberries, cubed mango or pineapple tidbits, good to serve over ice cream, frozen yogurt or a slice of plain cake.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 231.9, Fat 0.4, SaturatedFat 0.1, Sodium 7.6, Carbohydrate 58.3, Fiber 3.3, Sugar 52, Protein 1.6
- Combine the rhubarb, sugar, honey, butter and cinnamon in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and pierce once or twice to allow steam to escape. Microwave until the rhubarb is tender, about 6 minutes. Carefully remove the plastic wrap and stir.
- Meanwhile, break the shredded wheat into smaller pieces in a bowl. Dust with confectioners' sugar and cinnamon.
- Spoon the rhubarb compote into bowls, top with ice cream and sprinkle with the shredded wheat.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 221 calorie, Fat 8 grams, SaturatedFat 5 grams, Cholesterol 26 milligrams, Sodium 30 milligrams, Carbohydrate 37 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 2 grams, Sugar 29 grams
RHUBARB CHERRY COMPOTE
- In a saucepan bring all ingredients to a boil over med-high heat stirring often.
- Reduce heat cover and simmer 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and simmer until rhubarb breaks down (about 3 minutes) could be less if using frozen.
- Remove to bowl and refrigerate 1 hour or up to 2 days.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 311.7, Fat 0.5, SaturatedFat 0.1, Sodium 4.9, Carbohydrate 79.2, Fiber 5.3, Sugar 70, Protein 2.6
NORWEGIAN RHUBARB COMPOTE
Posted for ZWT 6. Adapted from norway-hei.com Can be enjoyed warm or chilled. Number of servings is an estimate.
Provided by noway
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Cut rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat water and ¾ cup sugar to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Add fruit. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, until rhubarb is tender.
- Mix ¼ cup water and cornstarch; stir into rhubarb.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute and stir over medium heat. Note: Rhubarb will burn if not stirred! Stir in vanilla extract.
- To serve:.
- If using glass serving bowls, be sure to temper with warm water first, otherwise the glass will crack.
- Pour into serving bowl or individual dessert bowls.
- When ready to serve, beat whipping cream with 2 tablespoons sugar in chilled bowl until stiff.
- Pipe cream through decorators' tube or spoon onto rhubarb compote.
HONEY RHUBARB COMPOTE
- Dissolve honey in water in large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add rhubarb. Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, uncovered, 15-25 minutes or until rhubarb is tender but still intact.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water. Mix well. Gradually add to rhubarb; cook and stir until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 3-5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Pour into a serving bowl and refrigerate until cold.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 142.8, Fat 0.2, Sodium 6, Carbohydrate 37.2, Fiber 1.6, Sugar 31.9, Protein 0.8
People also searched
More about "rhubarb compote food"
RHUBARB COMPOTE | RECIPE | FOOD & STYLE
Reviews 19Servings 1.25
RHUBARB COMPOTE | RICARDO
RHUBARB COMPOTE RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
Author Chatham Bars InnSteps 4Difficulty Intermediate
BAKED RHUBARB COMPôTE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
RHUBARB COMPOTE RECIPE (CINNAMON AND ORANGE) - FOOD …
EASY RHUBARB COMPOTE - KATY'S FOOD FINDS
HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE STOVETOP RHUBARB COMPOTE - FOOD52
BEST RHUBARB COMPOTE | CANADIAN LIVING
BEST RHUBARB COMPOTE RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
RHUBARB COMPOTE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
HAK RHUBARB COMPOTE 1-2 OPEN ›REAL DUTCH FOOD
RHUBARB COMPOTE | CANADIAN LIVING
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #5-ingredients-or-less #breakfast #desserts #fruit #easy #number-of-servings
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook rhubarb compote?Bring rhubarb mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Turn down heat and simmer until soft, about 10 minutes. Serve compote warm. Store leftover compote in the refrigerator.
How to cook rhubarb and orange rind?In top of double boiler over direct heat, bring sugar and water to boil. Place over boiling water in double boiler; stir in rhubarb and orange rind. Cover and cook over gently boiling water, without stirring, for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.
How do you boil rhubarb for jam?Stir together rhubarb and sugar in a large saucepan (off heat); let stand until rhubarb releases some liquid, about 10 minutes. Bring rhubarb mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb has broken down but some whole pieces remain, about 5 minutes.
What can I do with rhubarb to enhance the color?It is often combined with red fruits, such as strawberries or raspberries, to enhance the color and complement the flavor. Read the full recipe after the video. Stir together rhubarb and sugar in a large saucepan (off heat); let stand until rhubarb releases some liquid, about 10 minutes.