SCOTS GINGERBREAD (OLD SCOTTISH RECIPE)
Here is another old Scottish recipe that is printed on the linen towel I have hanging on my kitchen wall. I love the way people were able to cook back then - with such scanty directions! I think cooks back then just KNEW some things so they didn't have to be put in the recipe. Such as, preheat the oven and what a proper baking...
Provided by Susan Feliciano
Categories Sweet Breads
Number Of Ingredients 7
- 1. Original version: Beat 8 oz. butter to a cream. Mix with 12 oz. flour, 4 oz. oatmeal, 1/2 gill cream. Stir in 12 oz. treacle, 1 oz. green ginger, 4 oz. lemon peel cut into fine shreds. Work the whole into a light dough. Bake in a greased tin for 45 minutes.
- 2. Modern version: Cream the butter. Beat in flour, oats, and cream. Add in sorghum, ginger, and lemon peel. (This looks like a lot of peel. I wouldn't pack it down in the cup.) Combine well.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350-375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch cake pan. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- 4. Bake at 350 to 375 degrees about 40-45 minutes. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn. Since no temperature was given in the recipe, and temperatures varied greatly back then, it's hard to judge how long to cook it.
- 5. Cool 10 minutes in pan. May cut and serve from pan, or turn out onto serving plate and slice to serve.
People also searched
More about "scots gingerbread old scottish food"
GINGERBREAD - BAKING WITH GRANNY
5/5 (6)Estimated Reading Time 5 minsServings 12
- Pre-heat your oven to 160°c (140°c for fan assisted ovens or Gas Mark 2), line a 2lb loaf tin with some greaseproof paper and set aside.
- In a saucepan, warm the butter, golden syrup and treacle over a low heat until melted and just combined. Remove from the heat and stir in the milk. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder, sugar, ginger and spices. Add the melted mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
TRADITIONAL CLASSIC EDINBURGH GINGERBREAD - LARDER LOVE
5/5 (1)Total Time 1 hr 45 minsCategory BakingCalories 319 per serving
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices into a large bowl and add the nuts and sultanas.
- Melt the butter, treacle and sugar together over a low heat and let it cool a little before adding the eggs and milk and stirring well.
SCOTTISH STICKY GINGERBREAD - THE WEE LARDER BY ANGIE …
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
49 AUTHENTIC SCOTTISH RECIPES YOU SHOULD TRY - THE …
14 OF THE BEST SCOTTISH RECIPES - THE SPRUCE EATS
8 OLD SCOTTISH RECIPES YOU’VE (PROBABLY) NOT TRIED
BROONIE – HISTORY IN THE MAKING
11 TRADITIONAL SCOTTISH FOOD DISHES TO TRY | VISITSCOTLAND
SCOTTISH FOOD AND DRINK | TRADITIONAL SCOTTISH FOOD
#SCOTTISH RECIPES | JUST A PINCH RECIPES
SCOTTISH RECIPES FOR VEGANS AND VEGETARIANS | TINNED TOMATOES
32 TOP TRADITIONAL SCOTTISH FOOD & SCOTTISH DISHES (UPDATED 2022)
OATMEAL GINGERBREAD (SCOTTISH) RECIPE - FOOD.COM
FOCHABERS GINGERBREAD – HISTORY IN THE MAKING
20 TRADITIONAL SCOTTISH RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
10 DELICIOUS SCOTTISH DESSERT RECIPES TO TRY THIS WEEKEND
20+ OUTSTANDING SCOTTISH DESSERTS YOU WILL DEFINITELY LOVE IN 2023
FEATURES - SCOTTISH FOOD, TRADITIONS AND CUSTOMS
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best gingerbread in Scotland?Gingerbread is taken seriously here in Scotland with many varieties to choose from. This is Edinburgh gingerbread, a classic in its own right. Aah gingerbread, Scotland is famed for her gingerbread and we have many types on offer.
What are some authentic Scottish recipes?Here are 49 authentic Scottish recipes you should consider putting on your weekly breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu rotation. 1. Cullen Skink This is another traditional Scottish recipe that is just as fun to say as it is to eat. It’s a lot less complicated than you might think, too, consisting mostly of smoked haddock and some mixed herbs.
What is modern Scottish food?Traditional Scottish dishes like haggis and porridge are well known and have a long history. But modern Scottish food is all about fresh flavours, quality ingredients and mixing the old with the new. We've chosen a selection of Scottish recipes for you to try, many of them created by famous Scottish chefs.
What is Scottish shortbread?Scottish shortbread is a toothsome dessert to warm up your potluck dinner with family and friends. Your kitchen will be flooded with the luscious fragrance of these wonderful shortbreads! 1. Traditional Scottish Shortbread Scotland is famous for an attractive dessert made from butter – the time-honored shortbread.