CHEF JOHN'S SHEPHERD'S PIE
Shepherd's Pie recipes are traditionally done with lamb, but are great with any ground meat--turkey and beef being the most popular modern versions. Give this great casserole a try, and watch everyone flock to the table.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Place cubed potatoes and garlic in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Brown ground beef over medium heat in a skillet. Stir in flour, mixing with beef drippings.
- Add beef broth, ketchup and vegetables. Stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes, until thick.
- Transfer beef mixture into an oven-proof casserole dish.
- Drain potatoes and smash them a little bit before adding 1/4 cup of grated cheese and sour cream. Mash together until smooth.
- Spoon potatoes onto the middle of the meat mixture. With a fork, spread potatoes from the center to the edges to form the top layer.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of grated cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 311.4 calories, Carbohydrate 23.5 g, Cholesterol 58.8 mg, Fat 17.2 g, Fiber 3.2 g, Protein 16.2 g, SaturatedFat 8 g, Sodium 546.4 mg, Sugar 1.4 g
30 MINUTE SHEPHERD'S PIE
Try Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Shepherd's Pie recipe, a layered casserole of mashed potatoes, veggies and beef, from 30 Minute Meals on Food Network.
Provided by Rachael Ray : Food Network
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.
- While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with beef or lamb. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. If you are using lamb and the pan is fatty, spoon away some of the drippings. Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas.
- Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small flameproof rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned. Top casserole dish with chopped parsley and serve.
GORDON RAMSAY'S SHEPHERD'S PIE
I found this on a blog on the internet site I can do that. This is a recipe that author "Oggi" adapted from Gordon Ramsay's show "Kitchen Nightmares" where he tried to save the restaurant. This recipe ended up being the signature dish of the restaurant.
Provided by chefRD
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Prepare the mashed potatoes:.
- Place potatoes in a pot, add enough water to cover, add salt, cook for 15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain potatoes and mash (I prefer using a ricer). Warm the cream and butter then add to the mashed potatoes. Season with salt, then beat with a wooden spoon or hand beater for 1 minute until fluffy. Do not overbeat or it might turn gummy.
- Prepare the filling:.
- Add 2 T grated Parmesan cheese. Cover, set aside, keep warm while preparing beef.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil, stir fry beef until no longer pink. Drain off excess grease. Add onion, garlic, and carrot and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, thyme and rosemary, cook for 1 minute. Add wine and simmer until wine has almost evaporated. Add the broth and simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Transfer beef to a deep dish.
- Spoon mashed potato on top of beef. Sprinkle with 1 T grated Parmesan cheese. Fluff with a fork to create peaks.
- Bake in a 400° F oven for 20 minutes or broil until top is brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 734.1, Fat 31.1, SaturatedFat 13.9, Cholesterol 179.5, Sodium 2057.9, Carbohydrate 45.4, Fiber 4.5, Sugar 6.1, Protein 55.8
NO-FUSS SHEPHERD'S PIE
We've got some lovely twists on shepherd's pie on the site, but we were missing a definitive version of this classic family recipe - here it is!
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Dinner, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat 1 tbsp sunflower oil in a medium saucepan, then soften 1 chopped onion and 2-3 chopped carrots for a few mins.
- When soft, turn up the heat, crumble in 500g lamb mince and brown, tipping off any excess fat.
- Add 2 tbsp tomato purée and a large splash of Worcestershire sauce, then fry for a few mins.
- Pour over 500ml beef stock, bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 40 mins, uncovering halfway.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4, then make the mash. Boil the 900g potato, cut into chunks, in salted water for 10-15 mins until tender. Drain, then mash with 85g butter and 3 tbsp milk.
- Put the mince into an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and ruffle with a fork. The pie can now be chilled and frozen for up to a month.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until the top is starting to colour and the mince is bubbling through at the edges. (To bake from frozen, cook at 160C/fan 140C/gas 3 for 1 hr-1 hr 20 mins until piping hot in the centre. Flash under the grill to brown, if you like.)
- Leave to stand for 5 mins before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 663 calories, Fat 39 grams fat, SaturatedFat 20 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 49 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 10 grams sugar, Fiber 5 grams fiber, Protein 33 grams protein, Sodium 1.35 milligram of sodium
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in large frying pan and saute the onions until softened, then add the garlic and heat for 2 minutes.
- Raise the heat and add the ground beef. Cook quickly to brown, stirring occasionally. Once browned, add the carrots, celery, and pepper, paprika, garlic powder, worchestershire sauce, salt & pepper and cook several minutes.
- Stir in the flour, then add the stock and wine. Heat until simmering and thickened.
- Transfer the meat to a large casserole dish and cook in the oven for about 1 hour. Check the consistency from time to time and add a little more stock or wine if required. The meat mixture should be quite thick but not dry. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if required.
- While meat is cooking, make the mashed potatoes. Cook the peeled potatoes in salted water for approximately 15 - 20 min or until tender. Drain well and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Add the butter and milk. If the mixture is too dry, add milk a little at a time.
- On top of the meat mixture, spread the peas on half of the casserole and the corn on the other half (or whichever vegetables you prefer). Pipe or spread the potatoes on top of the vegetables.
- Increase the oven to 400F and cook for 15 - 20 minutes until till golden brown. You can choose to finish it off under the broiler for a few minutes for a really crisp brown topping.
People also searched
More about "shepherds pie food"
EASY SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
SHEPHERD’S PIE - CANADA'S FOOD GUIDE
CLASSIC SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
SHEPHERD’S PIE WITH NORTHERN ISLES LAMB SAUSAGE AND POTATO …
CAN YOU FREEZE SHEPHERDS PIE? - TEST FOOD KITCHEN
SHEPHERD'S PIE TATER TOT CASSEROLE - THIS IS NOT DIET FOOD
RECIPE: CLASSIC SHEPHERD’S PIE (A COMFORT FOOD RECIPE)
BEST SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
TRADITIONAL IRISH SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
THE PIONEER WOMAN’S SHEPHERD’S PIE - FOOD NETWORK CANADA
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
18 SPICES FOR SHEPHERD’S PIE AND SAMPLE RECIPES TO ... - FOOD FOR …
SHEPHERDS PIE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
COMFORTING SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
7 SHEPHERD’S PIE IDEAS IN 2022 | COOKING RECIPES, RECIPES, FOOD
ALTON BROWN’S SHEPHERD’S PIE - FOOD NETWORK CANADA
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - THE PRODUCE MOMS
SHEPHERDS PIE RECIPES - FOOD.COM
SMOKY TURKEY SHEPHERD’S PIE RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
SHEPHERDS PIE RECIPES : FOOD NETWORK | FOOD NETWORK
#lactose #60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #healthy #main-dish #vegetables #low-fat #vegan #vegetarian #dietary #low-cholesterol #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #egg-free #healthy-2 #free-of-something #low-in-something
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is Shepherd’s pie made of?This shepherd’s pie is made with ground turkey and lentils. Packed with tasty veggies and flavour, this recipe is one the whole family will enjoy. Wash and cube potatoes. Place potatoes in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes and then drain.
Is Shepherd's pie good for You?This budget-friendly meal makes the most of storecupboard spices and frozen peas A star rating of 4.7 out of 5. Angela Nilsen works her magic on a classic and gives Shepherd's pie a superhealthy face-lift A star rating of 4.5 out of 5.
How do you cook a shepherd's pie?A classic shepherd's pie that will bring back fond memories of comforting suppers. Read more about sharing. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Place one tablespoon of the oil into a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onions until softened and beginning to turn golden-brown. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
How many carbs are in a shepherd's pie?Make this easy shepherd's pie of a wintry evening – comfort food at its best. Each serving provides 743 kcal, 34g protein, 45g carbohydrates (of which 10g sugars), 46g fat (of which 23g saturates), 5.5g fibre and 1.2g salt. Read more about sharing.