CALDO VERDE (PORTUGUESE SAUSAGE KALE SOUP)
This soup is so hearty and comforting, you'll almost forget how good it is for you. And it's perfect for cold weather with the spicy sausage, kale, potatoes, and plenty of chicken broth.
Provided by Chef John
Categories Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes Soup Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Slice sausage into 1/4-inch rounds. Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and saute until sausage begins to turn brown and renders some fat, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a dish. Reduce heat to medium-low; add onions and pinch of salt salt. Stir and cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer potatoes to pot. Sprinkle in 2 teaspoons salt. Pour in chicken broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until potatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- When potatoes are tender, carefully mash them in the broth with a potato masher until broken up or completely mashed. Add kale, a handful at a time. Transfer browned sausage to soup. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until greens are tender, about 45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 564.8 calories, Carbohydrate 62.1 g, Cholesterol 55.9 mg, Fat 25.6 g, Fiber 6.6 g, Protein 25.1 g, SaturatedFat 8.6 g, Sodium 2850.6 mg, Sugar 4.3 g
PORTUGUESE KALE AND POTATO SOUP
The Portuguese soup caldo verde is ideal cool weather comfort food. It is full of good-for-you greens and potatoes, while sausage keeps things porky and satisfying.
Provided by Ruth Cousineau
Categories Soup/Stew Potato Dinner Lunch Sausage Simmer Gourmet Dairy Free Wheat/Gluten-Free Peanut Free Tree Nut Free Soy Free No Sugar Added Winter
Yield Makes 4 (main course) servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then brown sausage, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Add 2 tablespoon oil to fat in pot and cook onion and garlic with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper over medium heat, stirring often, until browned, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add potatoes, water, and 1 teaspoon salt and simmer, covered, until potatoes are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Mash some potatoes into soup to thicken, then add kale and simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in sausage and cook until just heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper.
PORTUGUESE SAUSAGE AND KALE SOUP (CALDO VERDE)
A hearty Portuguese sausage, potato, and kale soup. It's simple and easy and a Portuguese staple dish.
Provided by murraytheb
Categories Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes Soup Recipes Pork Soup Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Saute sausage slices in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer sausage to a plate, leaving any fat in the skillet.
- Add olive oil to the skillet and heat oil over medium heat; stir in onions. Cook and stir until the onions begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Return sausage to the pot and add chicken broth, potatoes, and pepper; bring to a boil. Add kale and cannellini beans, reduce heat slightly, and simmer until sausage is cooked through and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 586.4 calories, Carbohydrate 35.2 g, Cholesterol 81 mg, Fat 37.2 g, Fiber 5.4 g, Protein 27.5 g, SaturatedFat 12.8 g, Sodium 2334.4 mg, Sugar 3.2 g
CABBAGE AND POTATO SOUP (CALDO VERDE)
Make and share this Cabbage and Potato Soup (Caldo Verde) recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Derf2440
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Peel and cut up potatoes, and boil in salted water, with garlic.
- When soft, mash and add olive oil and cabbage or kale.
- Boil uncovered for about 3 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Serve in bowls with a drop of olive oil in the bottom of each.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 223, Fat 9.2, SaturatedFat 1.3, Sodium 19.4, Carbohydrate 32.6, Fiber 4.4, Sugar 2.1, Protein 4
CALDO VERDE (PORTUGUESE GREEN SOUP)
From Like Grandma Used To Make by Reader's Digest, c. 1996. This recipe differs from the original one in that turkey kielbasa has been substituted for Portuguese linguisa sausage and spinach replaces Portuguese cabbage.
Provided by NELady
Yield 6 side dishes, 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add the broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until potatoes are very soft. Using a potato masher or large spoon, slightly mash potatoes to thicken soup.
- Stir in the spinach, kielbasa, salt, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes more until heated through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 214.5, Fat 8.5, SaturatedFat 2.5, Cholesterol 19.6, Sodium 517.3, Carbohydrate 26.3, Fiber 4.2, Sugar 2.5, Protein 10.8
SKINNY PORTUGUESE KALE AND POTATO SOUP (CALDO VERDE)
Make and share this Skinny Portuguese Kale and Potato Soup (Caldo Verde) recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Kate DeMello
Yield 8 1 cup servings, 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a large pot, cook chourico or sausage over low heat. Turn and cook until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from pot and let cool. Cut sausage into slices. Remove any fat from pot, but leave the cooked on bits.
- Add oil to pot, add onion and cook on medium until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. As you stir, scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add broth potatoes, and black pepper, bring to a boil and cook 20 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and either lightly mash the potatoes with a potato masher or food processor, or I like to use my immersion blender to puree the entire mixture.
- Add chourico or sausage, red pepper flakes and bring back to a simmer. Cook covered for about 4 minutes. Add kale and bring back to a simmer. Cook partially covered until the kale is cooked. Adjust salt if needed.
More about "skinny portuguese kale and potato soup caldo verde food"
PORTUGUESE KALE SOUP RECIPE (CALDO VERDE) - A SPICY …
5/5 (30)Calories 234 per servingCategory Soup
- Place a 6-quart heavy bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Next add the potatoes, chopped kale, chicken broth, sherry, lemon zest, smoked paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes to soften the potatoes and kale.
- Peel the casing off the sausage. Cut the sausage links into quarters lengthwise. Then slice into thin wedges. Stir in the sausage, white beans, and heavy cream. Simmer another 5 minutes. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
CALDO VERDE (PORTUGUESE KALE SOUP) - OLIVIA'S CUISINE
4.5/5 (74)Category Soups And StewsCuisine PortugueseTotal Time 55 mins
- Start by cutting the collard greens. Just stack three leaves at a time and roll them like cigars. Cut them crosswise into very thin strips. Proceed with the rest of the leaves until all the collard greens are done. Reserve.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, add the peeled potatoes, the quartered onion, the minced cloves of garlic, the olive oil and the chicken broth. Bring it to a boil over high heat and then lower the heat to medium low and cook until the potatoes are tender and ready to be mashed (about 20 min).
- Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth. You can also use a regular blender and blend the soup in batches.
CALDO VERDE ~ PORTUGUESE GREEN SOUP – LEITE'S CULINARIA
4.9/5 (88)Total Time 1 hr 5 minsCategory AppetizersCalories 456 per serving
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the chouriço and cook until lightly browned on both sides, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the sausage to a plate. Try to let the sausage drain well into the pot; its fat will flavor the soup.
- Dump the onions into the pot. Sprinkle with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the potatoes, add the water or combination of water and chicken stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat so the soup gently simmers. Cook until the potatoes are almost tender, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the soup cool slightly.
CALDO VERDE (PORTUGUESE POTATO AND KALE SOUP WITH …
4.6/5 (7)Calories 484 per serving
PORTUGUESE KALE AND POTATO SOUP (CALDO VERDE)
CALDO VERDE: PORTUGUESE POTATO AND KALE SOUP
HOW TO MAKE CALDO VERDE A COMFORTING PORTUGUESE KALE SOUP
CALDO VERDE (PORTUGUESE KALE AND POTATO SOUP) - PINCH AND SWIRL
PORTUGUESE CALDE VERDE SOUP RECIPE - FOOD.COM
HOW TO MAKE PORTUGUESE CALDO VERDE SOUP - POTATO AND KALE
CALDO VERDE (PORTUGUESE KALE SOUP) EASY - FED BY SAB
VEGAN PORTUGUESE KALE AND POTATO SOUP (INSTANT POT PRESSURE …
PORTUGUESE KALE AND POTATO SOUP (CALDO VERDE) - CHATELAINE
CALDO VERDE (PORTUGUESE KALE & POTATO SOUP) - DELISH D'LITES
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is in Caldo Verde?Caldo Verde is a traditional Portuguese soup that is considered the unofficial dish of the country. It’s a creamy potato based soup that has kale (or collard greens) and chouriço. Chouriço is a Portuguese smoked sausage that’s packed with flavor from garlic, hot or mild pepper and red wine. What is in Caldo Verde (Portuguese Kale Soup)?
How to cook Kale and potatoes in a soup pot?Place a 6-quart heavy bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes. Next add the potatoes, chopped kale, chicken broth, sherry, lemon zest, smoked paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes to soften the potatoes and kale.
What is Portuguese green soup?The name translates to “green broth” in English and is also referred to as Portuguese green soup. That is because it’s made with couve verde, a particular dark green cabbage not widely available beyond Portugal’s borders. Popular substitutes for couve verde are collard greens or kale.
What to eat in Portugal?In Portugal, it is traditionally served during celebrations, such as weddings and birthdays, often accompanied by broa (Portuguese cornbread). Collard Greens – Caldo Verde is traditionally made with couve-galega, a type of Portuguese collard greens, but kale can be used interchangeably.