SUPERB ENGLISH PLUM PUDDING
This pudding is really best when made a year in advance and allowed to mellow. It was customary to make it early in Advent - the religious season before Christmas - and use it the following year. Everyone in the family was supposed to stir the pudding once for good luck. If you can't make it the year before, at least give it a few weeks to age.
Provided by James Beard
Yield Each pudding serves 12
Number Of Ingredients 22
- Blend the fruits, citron, peel, spices and suet and place in a bowl or jar. Add 1/4 cup cognac, cover tightly and refrigerate for 4 days, adding 1/4 cup cognac each day.
- Soak the bread crumbs in milk and sherry or port. Combine the well-beaten eggs and sugar. Blend with the fruit mixture. Add salt and mix thoroughly. Put the pudding in buttered bowls or tins, filling them about 2/3 full. Cover with foil and tie it firmly. Steam for 6-7 hours. Uncover and place in a 250°F. oven for 30 minutes. Add a dash of cognac to each pudding, cover with foil and keep in a cool place.
- To use, steam again for 2-3 hours and unmold. Sprinkle with sugar; add heated cognac. Ignite and bring to the table. Serve with hard sauce or cognac sauce.
ENGLISH PLUM PUDDING
A very traditional recipe imported by our first settlers from England. Just lovely garnished with hard sauce. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
Provided by Molly53
Yield 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Sift first five ingredients together; stir in fruit.
- Soak crumbs in milk for ten minutes.
- Beat eggs and sugar together until lemon-colored; add suet and soaked crumbs and stir into flour-fruit mixture.
- Add brandy and mix well.
- Pour into greased molds, cover tightly and steam 3 to 4 hours (depending on the size of molds used) OR tie in a large piece of heavy muslin, heavily buttered and floured, allowing plenty of space for expansion.
- Place in a large kettle of boiling water with rack in bottom to hold pudding off the bottom.
- Boil 3 to 4 hours, replacing water as necessary.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 929.4, Fat 41.5, SaturatedFat 22.1, Cholesterol 172.5, Sodium 831.3, Carbohydrate 120.7, Fiber 6, Sugar 86.8, Protein 11.8
People also searched
More about "superb english plum pudding food"
EASY ENGLISH PLUM PUDDING - SAVOR THE FLAVOUR
5/5 (3)Calories 319 per servingCategory Dessert
- Chop the prunes and apricots into smaller pieces and place in a large bowl. Peel, core, and dice the apple. Zest and juice a large navel orange.
- While the fruit is soaking, generously grease a 1.5-liter (6 1/3 cup) basin with butter, and line the base with a circle of parchment paper.
- Beat the butter in a large mixing bowl with a handheld electric mixer until lightened in color, about 2 minutes. Add the brown sugar and beat until fluffy.
A TRADITIONAL PLUM PUDDING | BRITISH CHRISTMAS PUDDING …
SUPERB ENGLISH PLUM PUDDING | RECIPES SQUARED
SUPERB FOOD - REVIEW OF PLUM PUDDING, ARMITAGE, ENGLAND
SUPERB ENGLISH PLUM PUDDING RECIPE | EPICURIOUS.COM | RECIPES, …
SUPERB ENGLISH PLUM PUDDING
PLUM PUDDING RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
PLUM BREAD PUDDING RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD - STEVEHACKS
PLUM PUDDING - COOKSINFO
TRADITIONAL PLUM PUDDING - DOWNTON ABBEY COOKS
SUPERB ENGLISH PLUM PUDDING | RECIPE GOLDMINE RECIPES
AUTHENTIC ENGLISH PLUM PUDDING FOOD - HOMEANDRECIPE.COM
SUPERB ENGLISH PLUM PUDDING FOOD - HOMEANDRECIPE.COM
RECIPE FOR PLUM PUDDING RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
PLUM SEASON RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD - STEVEHACKS
ENGLISH PLUM PUDDING RECIPE - THE STEAMED PUDDING THAT …
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is plum pudding?Plum pudding is a traditional English dessert served at Christmas dinner. You probably have read about it in Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol or in L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables. This delicious cake is packed with dried fruit, and is so moist and flavorful.
What can I substitute for shortening in plum pudding?Served with the sweet sherry or brandy laced sauce, it is the perfect ending to a Christmas dinner. The traditional plum pudding recipe calls for suet, or beef fat. This recipe substitutes vegetable shortening.
How to make a perfect Christmas pudding?Soak the bread crumbs in milk and sherry or port. Combine the well-beaten eggs and sugar. Blend with the fruit mixture. Add salt and mix thoroughly. Put the pudding in buttered bowls or tins, filling them about 2/3 full. Cover with foil and tie it firmly. Steam for 6-7 hours. Uncover and place in a 250°F. oven for 30 minutes.
How do you make Christmas pudding with powdered sugar and Sherry?Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in the sherry. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or until chilled. Unmold the pudding, cut into slices and serve warm with the sauce. Tried this recipe?