SWISS CHARD AND POTATO SOUP
Provided by Florence Fabricant
Categories dinner, weekday, soups and stews, appetizer
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Place bacon in a heavy 4-quart saucepan. Add 1/3 cup water, and cook over medium heat until water evaporates. Add 2 tablespoons oil. Sauté until lightly browned. Drain, leaving 2 tablespoons fat in pan.
- Add onion and garlic to oil in pan and sauté over low heat until soft and barely golden. Add potatoes and 8 cups water. Bring to a boil, season with salt, and cook until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
- If using the eggs, poach them, drain, trim any ragged edges, and set aside.
- Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon to a large mixing bowl, and roughly mash them with a fork or a potato masher. Return potatoes to liquid in pot, and stir to dissolve them.
- Add chickpeas, reserved bacon, chard leaves and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bring to a simmer, and cook about 5 minutes, until leaves wilt. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to warm soup plates. If using the eggs, add one to each plate. Top with chopped cilantro and a drizzle of the remaining olive oil.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 459, UnsaturatedFat 20 grams, Carbohydrate 40 grams, Fat 29 grams, Fiber 8 grams, Protein 13 grams, SaturatedFat 7 grams, Sodium 734 milligrams, Sugar 5 grams, TransFat 0 grams
BACON, SWISS CHARD, POTATO, AND VEGETABLE SOUL-SATISFYING SOUP
I begin to turn to soup when the weather outside turns a bit crisp, and I keep right on making and eating hearty, healthy, warming soups all winter long. This is an adaptable soup. Instead of the swiss chard, you could substitute any dark greens (spinach, turnip tops, radish tops, mustard greens, etc.). You could also substitute beans and/or rice for the potato; add fall veggies like sweet potatoes or squash; etc. Unless you're veggie, don't leave out the bacon. Smoked, cured pork products paired with leafy greens are one of life's simple luxuries.
Provided by jo_mama
Yield 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- I think it's easier to cut bacon when it's just out of the freezer. Anyway, cut the bacon across the strips, cutting it into small cross-sections of bacon strips. Add the bacon to a heavy-bottomed large soup pot over a medium flame. Render the bacon fat, stirring frequently to keep it from burning to the bottom of the pan. Once the bacon is crispy (but not burnt), remove it to a papertowel lined bowl/plate with a slotted spoon.
- Into the hot, delicious bacon fat add the carrots, celery, onion, swiss chard stalks, and bay leaves. Saute until vegetables soften, release liquid, and brown a bit (maybe up to 10 minutes or so?). The browning (but not burning) will develop additional flavor that will help to flavor your soup.
- Once the veggies have caramelized a bit, add the garlic, potatoes, and black pepper. Saute a few minutes until garlic is fragrant but not burnt.
- Add the swiss chard leaves, and stir well. The garlic and vegetable infused fat should evenly coat and cling to the contents on the pot. Add the chicken stock, enough to cover the veggies, cover the pot, and over a high flame bring to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer.
- Keep the soup at a bare simmer for 30 - 45 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are done to your liking. Taste and adjust the salt and black pepper. At this point, you can enjoy the soup as is, or you can use an immersion blender (or the tool of your choice) to further meld the flavors.
- Serve hot how you like it. With the crunchy bacon pieces, crusty bread, drizzled with a little olive oil, topped with a dollop of sour cream, dusted with a fresh turn of black pepper--the options are endless.
LENTIL SOUP WITH SWISS CHARD
I purchased swiss chard the other day and was looking for something to do with it. I stumbled upon a recipe which I promptly revamped. This has a little "kick" provided by the cayenne pepper. The kick can be enhanced by serving jalapeno pepper sauce on the side. Hope you enjoy!
Provided by PaulaG
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Place all ingredients in a 5 to 6 quart crockpot, stir, and cook for 4 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low.
- Lentils and other vegetables should be cooked but not overly soft.
- Remove bay leaves, stir and serve with fresh baked cornbread and jalapeno pepper sauce on the side.
People also searched
More about "swiss chard potato soup food"
SWISS CHARD & POTATOES | ITALIAN FOOD FOREVER
SWISS CHARD AND POTATO SOUP RECIPE (SOPA DE ACELGAS)
COZY SWISS CHARD SOUP WITH POTATOES - CONNOISSEURUS VEG
5/5 (9)Total Time 35 minsCategory SoupCalories 202 per serving
SWISS CHARD SOUP - HEALTHIER STEPS
BORED OF BAKED POTATOES? HERE'S 30 NEW WAYS TO EAT THEM
SWISS CHARD, LEEK, POTATO, AND SAUSAGE SOUP
POTATO SWISS CHARD SOUP - UGLY VEGAN KITCHEN
15 BEST WAYS TO COOK SWISS CHARD - ALLRECIPES
CREAMY SWEET POTATO AND SWISS CHARD SOUP - COOK NOURISH BLISS
SWISS CHARD AND POTATO SOUP - THE GLOBE AND MAIL
HEALTHY CREAMY SWISS (OR RAINBOW) CHARD SOUP
SWISS-CHARD, POTATO, AND CHICKPEA STEW - FOOD & WINE
SLOW COOKER SAUSAGE, POTATO AND SWISS CHARD SOUP
SWISS CHARD AND POTATO SOUP WITH CHICKPEAS | SALT SUGAR SPICE
POTATO, SWISS CHARD, AND BREAD SOUP RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
SWISS CHARD SOUP WITH LENTILS - THE CLEVER MEAL
SAUSAGE, POTATO AND SWISS CHARD SOUP | CANADIAN LIVING
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love