TRADITIONAL IRISH SODA BREAD
While soda bread with add-ins like currants and caraway can be delicious, it's not at all authentic. In Ireland, soda bread tends to be plainer and more restrained. Here is a classic recipe adapted from Darina Allen, an Irish television personality and the owner of the Ballymaloe Cookery School in Shanagarry. This soda bread is is best eaten still steaming from the oven, slathered with good salted Irish butter that melts on contact with your slice. It's a fine accompaniment to corned beef and cabbage, should you be making that dish this St. Paddy's Day. Or make this recipe all year long. That's how they do it in Ireland.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Categories brunch, easy
Yield 1 loaf, 8 to 12 servings
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk. Using your hand, mix in the flour from the sides of the bowl. The dough should be soft but not wet and sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface. Wash and dry your hands. Knead the dough lightly for a few seconds, then pat the dough into a round about 1 1/2 inches thick. Place it on a buttered baking sheet and using a sharp knife, cut a deep cross in the center of the dough reaching out all the way to the sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees, and continue to bake until the top is golden brown and the bottom of the bread sounds hollow when tapped, about 30 minutes longer. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 174, UnsaturatedFat 0 grams, Carbohydrate 35 grams, Fat 1 gram, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 6 grams, SaturatedFat 0 grams, Sodium 188 milligrams, Sugar 2 grams
IRISH SODA BREAD
Get the taste of Ireland with this fresh, no-fuss soda bread
Provided by Margaret Hickey
Categories Buffet, Side dish, Snack
Yield Makes 1 loaf
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C and dust a baking sheet with flour. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then rub in the butter. Pour in the buttermilk and mix it in quickly with a table knife, then bring the dough together very lightly with your fingertips (handle it very, very gently). Now shape it into a flat, round loaf measuring 20cm/8in in diameter.
- Put the loaf on the baking sheet and score a deep cross in the top. (Traditionally, this lets the fairies out, but it also helps the bread to cook through.) Bake for 30-35 minutes until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. If it isn't ready after this time, turn it upside down on the baking sheet and bake for a few minutes more.
- Transfer to a wire rack, cover with a clean tea towel (this keeps the crust nice and soft) and leave to cool. To serve, break into quarters, then break or cut each quarter in half to make 8 wedges or slices - or simply slice across. Eat very fresh.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 296 calories, Fat 5 grams fat, SaturatedFat 3 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 56 grams carbohydrates, Fiber 5 grams fiber, Protein 11 grams protein, Sodium 1.21 milligram of sodium
TRADITIONAL IRISH BROWN SODA BREAD
Unlike many of the recipes here, none of the soda bread that I have ever eaten in Ireland was sweet or contained sugar, so here is a recipe for a traditional soda bread from Keith Floyd. This is great with Irish Stew but also a handy recipe to have in reserve for the times that you run out of bread and can't face going to the shops. Do feel free to substiute buttermilk for the sour milk in this recipe.
Provided by Kate in Katoomba
Categories Quick Breads
Yield 1 loaf
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Mix the dry ingredients very well.
- Moisten with the sour milk to form a soft dough.
- Knead lightly.
- Form into a round, mark with a cross, place on a tin and bake for 30-45 minutes in the oven at 220°C.
TRADITIONAL BROWN IRISH SODA BREAD
"Odlums Flours" are a national brand in Ireland and for generations the recipes found on their packaging have been enjoyed. My Mother always made bread from an Odlums recipe and I have kept it the same....hope you enjoy. It goes great with stews and soups. I also like to serve it with smoked salmon, a combination you are bound to enjoy.
Provided by Debi and Johnny
Yield 1 loaf
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Sieve the Salt, Bread Soda and All purpose flour into a bowl. Mix in the Wholewheat flour and wheatgerm. Add enough milk to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the mixture comes together. Place on a floured baking sheet forming into a round loaf (approx 10" diameter).
- Place into a preheated oven (central position) and bake at 375 to 400 F for 40 to 45 minutes. When baked the bread will sound hollow when you tap it on the bottom. Cool on a baking rack or wrap in a dry tea towel to give a softer crust.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1940, Fat 16.2, SaturatedFat 4.8, Cholesterol 20.7, Sodium 2976.1, Carbohydrate 387, Fiber 43.9, Sugar 26.6, Protein 81.1
IRISH BROWN SODA BREAD
When baking soda was introduced in the early 19th century, Irish home cooks adopted the product almost immediately. With soda, a loaf of bread could be ready in as little as one hour, as opposed to using yeast or sourdough starters, which require rising time. The recipe is a slight adaptation of one by the Irish cookbook author Rachel Allen. It is most delicious freshly baked, and best toasted the next day.
Provided by David Tanis
Categories breads, side dish
Yield 1 loaf
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt and baking soda. Use your fingertips to work the butter into the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and buttermilk together. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine with a wooden spoon. Dough should be soft but not sticky; add a bit more all-purpose flour if necessary.
- Put dough on a lightly floured board and knead together gently, just enough to form a round loaf. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cut a deep cross on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn heat to 400 degrees and bake for 30 minutes more, until nicely browned. To tell whether it's done, thump the bottom of the loaf with your fingertips; it should sound hollow. Remove from baking sheet and cool on a rack. Let cool to room temperature before slicing, if possible.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 278, UnsaturatedFat 2 grams, Carbohydrate 50 grams, Fat 5 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Protein 10 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 290 milligrams, Sugar 3 grams, TransFat 0 grams
People also searched
More about "traditional irish brown soda bread food"
BROWN SODA BREAD RECIPE - TRADITIONAL IRISH - BORD BIA
Servings 6Calories 180 per serving
- Combine the egg with the buttermilk and honey then mix into the flour. Add a little more buttermilk if the mixture is dry – it should be a soft dough.
- Pour the dough into a lightly oiled loaf tin. Sprinkle the sesame seeds or porridge oats over the top of the loaf if using.
TRADITIONAL IRISH BROWN BREAD - ANALIDA'S ETHNIC SPOON
4.6/5 (8)Total Time 45 minsCategory BreadCalories 187 per serving
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: both fours, oats, salt and baking soda. Mix thoroughly all the dry ingredients.
- Whisk buttermilk and molasses. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in the buttermilk mixture.
MUM’S TRADITIONAL IRISH SODA BREAD RECIPE (BROWN BREAD)
Ratings 683Calories 183 per servingCategory Dinner, Lunch
- Mix together the flours, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles bread crumbs.
- In a separate jug, whisk the egg and buttermilk together (see note on how to make Buttermilk below)
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the liquid, 3/4 at once, into the flour mixture.
THE BEST IRISH SODA BREAD - FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN
Author Food Network KitchenSteps 4Difficulty Easy
GRANDMA'S IRISH SODA BREAD - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
TRADITIONAL IRISH WHEATEN BREAD (BROWN SODA BREAD) …
TRADITIONAL IRISH BROWN BREAD RECIPE - IRISHCENTRAL.COM
IRISH BROWN BREAD: A TRADITIONAL FAVORITE - JENNA KATE AT HOME FOOD
4.4/5 (15)Total Time 40 minsCategory BreadCalories 218 per serving
TRADITIONAL BROWN IRISH SODA BREAD - SEASONS AND SUPPERS
TRADITIONAL IRISH SODA BREAD — LET'S DISH RECIPES
CALORIES IN WHEATEN BREAD (IRISH BROWN SODA BREAD)
IRISH BROWN BREAD RECIPE | KING ARTHUR BAKING
TRADITIONAL IRISH BROWN SODA BREAD - GOOD FOOD IRELAND
IRISH BROWN BREAD | TRADITIONAL SODA BREAD FROM IRELAND
IRISH BROWN BREAD • TRADITIONAL IRISH RECIPE! - THE VIEW FROM GREAT ...
IRISH BROWN BREAD RECIPE: HOW TO BAKE THIS RUSTIC LOAF
GRANNY’S TRADITIONAL IRISH BROWN SODA BREAD RECIPE
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #cuisine #preparation #occasion #healthy #breads #breakfast #easy #european #holiday-event #low-fat #dietary #low-cholesterol #seasonal #st-patricks-day #inexpensive #healthy-2 #quick-breads #low-in-something
You'll also love